Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

Backed, but worried that they won't make their goal. I've had the film holder for awhile. It would be a real shame for this to fail.

I just backed the project, albeit at a lower tier. I hope to get my pledge up to the 10-box level before it closes.

Hard to argue with the dooming math on this project but all I can do it put my money where my mouth is.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The thing is, the project was imagined to have lots of people backing it, at low levels. Unfortunately, the project simply can't succeed without an insanely enormous groundswell, just based on the funding options. Even if the $200 level and above are fully backed, that won't be enough to float the project because there just aren't enough people.

The population numbers just aren't there.

In this case, the phrase "everyone paddling" means about 1,000 people who want that film. But that's not enough to support the project as the funding is structured.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I'm in for 10 boxes!
    Thad Gerheim

new55 kickstarter has begun

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The thing is, the project was imagined to have lots of people backing it, at low levels. Unfortunately, the project simply can't succeed without an insanely enormous groundswell, just based on the funding options. Even if the $200 level and above are fully backed, that won't be enough to float the project because there just aren't enough people.

The population numbers just aren't there.

In this case, the phrase "everyone paddling" means about 1,000 people who want that film. But that's not enough to support the project as the funding is structured.
    In my opinion, the big excitement and push would have been 2 years ago, now, the environment has changed. Unfortunately they waited too long

We all know talk is cheap, money talks, etc... Succeed or fail a lot of credit has to go to Bob and Sam for getting the work done and putting this out there. We'll know in a few weeks if it's viable or not but either way the question will have been answered and probably for good.

I know at one time they were considering if they were unable to fund the project they would openly release their research, giving people an opportunity to try to DIY the materials.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Unfortunately they waited too long
    No, they were busy developing a product. I've been reading their blog and following along since they started. They couldn't do this two years ago, simply because they didn't have a product to produce. They've done a lot of work and research, and have even taken out a patent. It's only now that they can take this to the next level. That's all there is to it, unfortunately.

I'm fairly sure that if they could have launched the start on manufacturing two years ago, they would have done it. Unfortunately, a Type 55 alternate would have had its best success immediately after Polaroid gave up the ghost, when there was still Polaroid stock on the shelves. Come to think of it, I don't remember it flying off the shelves then, when you think that people would have stocked up.

This is not a product for the convenience crowd. We, large format photographers, don't haul around these beasts because they are small and cute. A Polaroid camera is nice and compact. A Toyo, Graflex, or Linhof isn't exactly cuddly. When I head out with my camera, everything goes into a bike bag, not a pocket. Those who need speed and convenience have long since moved to something that gives them exactly that.

And according to Kicktraq, we've had a big bounce up. Apparently I'm not the only one who has upped his pledge, and there's been a number of new backers.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Come on guys - is 75 bucks really going to kill you? Large format photography people? Anyone who doesn't kick in is doing themselves and the rest of us a disservice.

Yeah, if:
    Large Format Photography Forum Statistics
    Active Members: 3,799
    3,800 * $75 = $285,000

then of course the project would make it with the additional money.

But here's the thing: if you don't have a 545 holder, what's the point of supporting the project? I imagine that everybody who signed up for a box of film did so because they can actually use that film. But what's the point of signing up if you don't have a holder, and will never use the film? Those holders aren't being made anymore, so they are only available used. Sure, it would be nice if everybody chipped in something, but it's only at the $75 level that it makes sense for the project. (And there are soooo many gripes about the cost of film...)

Right now, it looks like a dead cat bounce.

545 backs are a dime a dozen... There were millions made.