Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: new55 kickstarter has begun

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: new55 kickstarter has begun

And six people at the end squeaked in with $400! I wonder how many projects end like this one. My 545 has been with me for over 15 years, and now there's more film! Yes!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Wonderful news. I'm amazed that we made it. Now, I have to start thinking about a project for the film. When the materials are expensive, I think you have to care more about the end result. I think that's a good thing, in many ways.

So, I was in Switzerland for a couple of weeks and lost track of the campaign for its last week. I had already doubled down on my first pledge and gone as far as I could go, so I just had to hope.

We learned a lot about Kickstarter in this thread, but we already knew that it makes possible what isn't possible using conventional investment vehicles, especially with credit tight. Even if it fails, I'll know I did what I could.

I used to use Type 55 a lot--it was a way to get a good negative very easily in the days when I didn't have a darkroom. It's perfect for my current low production level--I might expose ten sheets of black and white a year and keeping a darkroom going efficiently isn't easy at that level. Even with a high unit cost, this product is still cheaper.

Now, I gotta find that clearing tank--I know it's here somewhere. The 545 is still handy, too.

Rick "looking forward to frequent progress reports, which can be posted here" Denney

You have been in Switzerland and not visited me, you are living a dangerous live

Cheers Armin

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    One can surmise that some friends of the promoters jumped in for the purpose of helping their buddies get this off the ground and then jumped out once it hit the funding level. That doesn't bother me. I jumped in (late) in order to help it jump the funding hurdle which it has, so I am happy. This has been a very high mountain for them to climb. Four times higher than the Travelwide Kickstarter (which I also backed). I am glad they reached their target. I got into the LF photography game late in life. Never shot 55 but have admired projects shot with this film (e.g. Christopher Thomas: New York Sleeps) so I am hoping I get a chance to try this type of film also. So I am now anxiously awaiting delivery of my box of film (yes I do have a 545 film holder…).
    I did not see that happening though I do recognize some friends in the pledges, but they are genuine 4x5 shooters. The biggies were from places unknown to us prior to the campaign. Bob Crowley

Bugger- off grid for a couple of weeks- mean to do this but didn't!
    Should always do these things right away!
    Bob- anyway I can still get in on this?
    Have 15 boxes of old 55 but would still like some more.................
    Thanks
    Clive
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_E View Post
    One can surmise that some friends of the promoters jumped in for the purpose of helping their buddies get this off the ground and then jumped out once it hit the funding level.
    Frank,

That would have served no purpose, given the size of the goal; and we would have discouraged it if anyone would have suggested it.

It is possible to get caught-out doing that because Kickstarter blocks any pledge decreases or cancellations in the last 24 hours that would put a project under the line. Cancellations happen to every project -- don't know the average but something like 5% is normal.

-Sam Hiser

thank you for the response Sam (and Bob)

as a participant, I got your last update which talked about the fact that some payments are failing
    due to things like people having changed their credit card numbers etc
    will that shortfall jeopardize the project, or have those issues been mainly sorted out by now?

Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    Frank,

That would have served no purpose, given the size of the goal; and we would have discouraged it if anyone would have suggested it.

It is possible to get caught-out doing that because Kickstarter blocks any pledge decreases or cancellations in the last 24 hours that would put a project under the line. Cancellations happen to every project -- don't know the average but something like 5% is normal.

-Sam Hiser
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Man , I can't wait. When the film is available I'm going to sell my Harley , buy a few refrigerator's and stuff them with new55 film. My wife is getting nervous .

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    Man , I can't wait. When the film is available I'm going to sell my Harley , buy a few refrigerator's and stuff them with new55 film. My wife is getting nervous .
    She likes riding the Harley doesn't she...?