Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

Re: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    That is so bad. I am guessing that your particular island is strictly satellite fed. On the other hand, perhaps it is a beautiful place to live in the real world.
    I wish we had satellite. As it is we have an undersea cable with virtually no bandwidth. And I'm paying approx $95 a month. But the sunsets and sunrises are amazing. And I have mangos, papayas and coconuts growing in my yard.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

From Jac, Minnesota:
    Europe is so far ahead of the USA. A real shame.

Hello from Europe !
    [a digression about megabits per second]

Well, I know that the grass is always greener in the nearby field, so this is actually what I'm using at home while typing this message:
    For a subscription of $30 per month, I have, through an old analogue telephone line installed in the 1970's, what we call here an ADSL service, 11 Mbits/second [about 1.4 megabytes/second] for download and 1 Mbits/second [about 125 kilobytes/second] for uploading (this is already too fast for my regular typing rate )
    I'm living in a medium-size city, only 2 miles away from the installations delivering the ADSl signal, and I know that remote villages have much lower speeds than us.

So far, so good for me, downloading at 10 Mbits/second, this is far enough for useful things I need, but often it is not the customers' needs that create the service, but instead the offer of a new service that creates the needs: remember when xerox-style of copiers became the standard, immediately, everybody HAD to make hundreds of copies per day

[end of digression]

And .. oooops, sorry, what was the original subject ? Ah ! PhotoshopTM
    I'm not qualified to make any comment: I'm using the GIMP on LINUX for most my retouching tasks, and 10 Mbits/second is fast enough to download regular upgrades of my LINUX system within a few minutes, including, of course, regular upgrades of the GIMP (soon 16-bit images in the GIMP, this has been announced for years, still waiting, but true believers in free software never object)

"the offer of a service that creates the needs", no connection with PhotoshopTM, of course

Quote Originally Posted by CantikFotos View Post
    I wish we had satellite. As it is we have an undersea cable with virtually no bandwidth. And I'm paying approx $95 a month. But the sunsets and sunrises are amazing. And I have mangos, papayas and coconuts growing in my yard.
    I wouldn't even be able to backup a single image in a year lol, my 11x14 B&W scans are 2GB's and my 4x5's are 150mb (B&W) and 300mb (color) I assume my 8x10 B&W's will be around 600mb's and my color 8x10's would be 1.3gb's EACH... Sheesh... Glad I have high speed internet from the "civilized" world...

I live in a large city with a major university, a military base, and a regional hospital.
    Despite being within 2 miles of the university and hospital, the ONLY internet service I can get is AT&T and I get on average 1.2 Mbps or something abysmal. Uploading barely registers (I tried uploading a 5 minute video to Youtube - it was going to take 10 hours or something stupid so I did it at work instead).

Anyway, on topic - the University System of GA just last fiscal year signed an agreement with Adobe that the entire system will be using the CC subscription. EVERY school must abide by this - which means schools like the one I work at will be having thousands of licenses at that $10/month (or maybe a discount, I hope?).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Anyway, on topic - the University System of GA just last fiscal year signed an agreement with Adobe that the entire system will be using the CC subscription. EVERY school must abide by this - which means schools like the one I work at will be having thousands of licenses at that $10/month (or maybe a discount, I hope?).
    Are they using a key-server method in which just so many copies can be run concurrently, or actually licensing everyone who wants to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I live in a large city with a major university, a military base, and a regional hospital.
    Despite being within 2 miles of the university and hospital, the ONLY internet service I can get is AT&T and I get on average 1.2 Mbps or something abysmal. Uploading barely registers (I tried uploading a 5 minute video to Youtube - it was going to take 10 hours or something stupid so I did it at work instead).

My cell phone data speed is faster than that.. Are you sure there's not an issue in your line?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    My cell phone data speed is faster than that.. Are you sure there's not an issue in your line?
    I see businesses on a regular basis that have that speed. It's rather common for DSL users. Look at ATT's (they are a DSL provider) web site to see what they currently offer: http://www.att.com/shop/internet/internet-service.html. Their plans start at 768 Kbps. They call their 3 Mbps service "Pro" and 6 Mbps "Elite". As if people should feel privileged to get 6 Mbps.

AT&T really sucks.

I just got the updated rates from my provider. There are start-up costs not mentioned, but still good. I did not include the gigabit options.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rates.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	117894

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Are they using a key-server method in which just so many copies can be run concurrently, or actually licensing everyone who wants to use it?
    You are correct, they have a key-server. But I know here we have a lot of concurrent licenses, and we aren't even a super huge school like some of the others in the state.
    Either way this, in my opinion, was Adobe's real motive. They couldn't care less if everyone pirates their software (remember, CC is probably easier to pirate than the normal CS6) - they just want that constant revenue stream from the businesses and gov't institutions.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I just received, and completed, a survey from Adobe. It basically was probing interest in Creative Cloud, and asked about desirability of several ways they apparently are considering to make Creative Cloud more attractive. The survey requires non-disclosure, so I won't go into details, but none of the ideas they listed in any way made me want to go onto Creative Cloud. My primary opposition is that I don't want to be locked into paying a monthly fee for the rest of my life just to maintain the ability to open the image files that I have accumulated in my life.