Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: ADOBE is on the run, failed at subscribtion

I asked because I usually have a background layer and above that a sharpening layer. The sharpening layer is a clone of the background, set to luminosity, and with the blend-if sliders used to exclude the brightest highlights and darkest shadows. I'd like to be able to put a spotting layer directly above these. In the past I've always done spotting as a destructive process.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I asked because I usually have a background layer and above that a sharpening layer. The sharpening layer is a clone of the background, set to luminosity, and with the blend-if sliders used to exclude the brightest highlights and darkest shadows. I'd like to be able to put a spotting layer directly above these. In the past I've always done spotting as a destructive process.
    That should work. If you select "current and below", that will do the trick. The sampling should use the sharpening layer pixels, except for where the blend-if decides to make the background layer visible, in which case sampling will happen form the background layer. I'm guessing that's exactly what you want.

I have to say, this has been a very educational thread about Adobe that morphed into CS6. I was never a big user of layers but I'll have to save the info here for further reading and dig into it more if it can help with post processing. Tons of information !
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Adobe has always given huge discounts to the education industry. Where I am, you could get the whole CS6 master collection for $400 or so ($2500+ retail) with the education discount. Of course if you are motivated/inclined to do so, you can get it for nothing too. Probably the same case with CC as it was with CS6. Just sayin'...
    I purchased the CS5 Design Set when it was new for around $150 under the educator discount in Korea. There were so many pirated versions in Korea, I think they were almost giving it away for $150. CS5 is good enough for me and what I do, I don't need to pay the monthly subscription.

This has been an interesting read even if a bit confrontational.

My workflow is capture one pro:
    This has up to 10 adjustment layers including ND Grad filters...all on the Raw file with something like sidecar instructions.
    One can always go back to the RAW file and as the program gets better one can process the RAW files even better.

Then I go to PS.

When I purchased PS 5.5 the nice lady said IF you do it now we will give you PS6 for free.
    They did not honour.
    I stopped there.
    No more paying for PS.
    No Cloud.
    No CC

So i am searching but CS5 or 6 is all I need for now.

Thank you Greg Miller for your experience.
    And thank you Stone for your side of it.

grant

Eh, $10/month is pretty good for Photoshop + Lightroom. It's basically $120 / year to have the latest version of Photoshop at any given time, and they actually have been adding/fixing things every few months. Sometimes the features are things you don't need, but sometimes they add something useful like Select > Focus Area.

Photoshop CS6 Extended was $999. That's equivalent to over 8 years of CC. I don't think I could use the same version of Photoshop for 8 years. 8 years ago, CS2 was the latest and greatest. Content-Aware Fill didn't arrive until CS5. I use the Content-Aware Healing Brush to do all of my dust spotting...

Plus, I like that I can install 2 copies—my wife uses my other copy to do light editing and image prep for the web.

Anyway, to each his/her own, but I'm in the minority that thinks CC is actually a great deal

Preston Birdwell

Since Adobe made the subscription for Photoshop + Lightroom for $10/month permanent, I think that's a pretty good deal. At the moment I'm using CS6 that I got a while back for the upgrade price. From what I've heard from others, Adobe is being pretty timely with bug fixes and feature updates. At some point, when there are new features that I can't live without, I'll subscribe.

Just a quick note wrt to CS6: Adobe is providing updates for Adobe Camera RAW. So, if you use ACR, be sure to check for updates.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Eh, $10/month is pretty good for Photoshop + Lightroom. It's basically $120 / year to have the latest version of Photoshop at any given time, and they actually have been adding/fixing things every few months. Sometimes the features are things you don't need, but sometimes they add something useful like Select > Focus Area.

Photoshop CS6 Extended was $999. That's equivalent to over 8 years of CC. I don't think I could use the same version of Photoshop for 8 years. 8 years ago, CS2 was the latest and greatest. Content-Aware Fill didn't arrive until CS5. I use the Content-Aware Healing Brush to do all of my dust spotting...

Plus, I like that I can install 2 copies—my wife uses my other copy to do light editing and image prep for the web.

Anyway, to each his/her own, but I'm in the minority that thinks CC is actually a great deal
    I would say $10/month is just OK. Most people paid the upgrade grade price - much less than a full price version. I paid $220 in May 2012 for the CD version. So that's about $8.50/month, and I own it, not rent it. And I have it installed on my desktop and laptop per Adobe's license agreement. CS2 was hardly a mature product. The features added between CS2 and CS6 are quite significant. CS6 is a pretty mature product, so the new features are not really that significant. Similar to an upgrade from Word 2010 and Word 2013. Adobe knew that and pretty much had to switch to a rental model to keep income flowing. So far, for the work I do, there isn't a feature that compels me to switch to CC. And it would have a be pretty darn good feature to compel me to start paying monthly for the rest of my life, or else lose the ability to open my files.

If CS6 is working for you, then who cares what Adobe does with CC? You can just ignore it, and use CS6 for the rest of your life.

If this new payment model is totally abhorrent to you—even though it saves you money—then you could switch to a competing product.

My problem is that where I live, it would take a month to download it.
    "There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton