Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebonizing

Re: Ebonizing

Thanks for a useful, entertaining and deeply insightfull introduction!

I have some sets of ebonised 9x12 plate holders that are joy to behold and touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I understand, Evan, and partially agree. A good solution, but it is not ebonizing. I've only sold tens of millions of dollars of products to professional restorers, and started out doing faux finishing on buildings now on the national historic register. Ink is a nice option for minor repairs. I wouldn't want it on a camera in the field
    unless it was sealed in with marine varnish (at least if I considered my cameras a furniture, which I don't).
    I seal it in UV finish which is impervious to acetone and MEK..Ebonizing isn't that important..I've used truckloads of ebony in the last 40 years and the customers only care if it's black.

Different woods (and even cuts of wood) respond somewhat differently due to the amount of tannins present as well as how deep your solution soaks in. Ebonizing is a lot of work for big projects, but cost effective in terms of the inexpensive solution itself. Pseudo-ebonizing with India ink, such as Evan is obviously quite skilled at, is impossible to do on large projects simply because one cannot acquire significant quantities of the ink, which is relatively expensive to begin with. A camera is something small, so you could realistically apply either technique, but the look might be different. Ink is always full opaque black, whereas chemical ebonizing might
    allow some of the underlying wood color through, though quite differently than the effect of an ordinary dye stain. For example, one of my intermittent customers
    is the largest wholesale framing shop in the area. They used to do quite a bit of business ebonizing black walnut frames. The effect was elegant - a deep black with a hint of brown, quite unlike all these black painted frames one sees. But walnut is quite expensive, and the process labor-intensive. So they compromised and
    now mainly use inexpensive poplar frames with India ink, which gives them a much less expensive option than true walnut ebonizing. Poplar looks like hell stained
    with ordinary stains (despite what the do-it-yourselfer sites and magazines state). I'm more the type who makes various hardwood frames because I enjoy doing
    it. But if you're framing as a business, there would have to be a serious upcharge to it to make ends meet. Just practice on a scrap of something before applying
    any such technique to a camera. The ebonizing solution still contains a lot of water, and not just acetic acid, so your camera wood will hypothetically be subject to warping, swelling, and grain raise requiring a bit of minor sanding. India ink does not introduce that risk.
    I agree with all this but the OP wants to make one camera black..

Drew Wiley

Yes Evan ... ink would be a far easier approach. But simply getting something a lovely black is different from hypothetically replicating an authentic finish, as in a
    precise restoration. And I do not know which objective he had in mind. So excuse me if I was overly wordy. ... I get that way, and tend to reply to things a bit
    too broadly at times if something might be applicable to more than one person contemplating such projects. The only option I would never want to mess with myself
    is ammonia fuming - and that is a look very difficult to replicate any other way. Otherwise, hazardous.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Doesn't need to go deep. Black Cat is extremely hard stuff and almost impervious to solvents. I don't mean cheap generic India ink..Black Cat is on a level by itself. I use it on cues which sel for $2-3000.00..It will tolerate almost any finish. I have used tannic staing on cues for about 45 years and if you are after black, thus is the stuff. Some examples of the level of my woodworking...
    Very nice!

Yes Evan ... ink would be a far easier approach. But simply getting something a lovely black is different from hypothetically replicating an authentic finish, as in a
    precise restoration. And I do not know which objective he had in mind. So excuse me if I was overly wordy. ... I get that way, and tend to reply to things a bit
    too broadly at times if something might be applicable to more than one person contemplating such projects. The only option I would never want to mess with myself
    is ammonia fuming - and that is a look very difficult to replicate any other way. Otherwise, hazardous.
    I get too wordy also. He seems to ne after a nlack Seneca look. This black cat can be thinned with alcohol and will show the grain in underlying wood and can have an oil finish on top. I put a UV finish with actone as a solvent and it doesn't touch tje Black Cat. I've been messing around for about 50 years with methods for making maple black and this is the only one that satisfies me. It is a fairly interesting material..Cheers, Evan

A few people have asked me about my cues.I am the maker of Schon cues...

I am a retired cabinetmaker and had one client for whom I built an office/library in quarter sawn white oak. The oak was fumed with ammonia and as Drew says it is a hazardous procedure but the end result is amazing. Beautiful dark rich browns that go deep into the wood and the degree of colour is controlled by how long the wood is exposed to the fumes. This particular job required 36 hours but I would not recommend it unless you have powerful exhaust fans and are not in a built up area.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    A few people have asked me about my cues.I am the maker of Schon cues...
    Evidently there are a lot of folks here who aren't aware if the significance of the above statement. Evan Clarke is the maker of Schon cues. That's really something!

Very kind, Cletus