Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harrison & Harrison Filters – Diffusion filter set

Re: Harrison & Harrison Filters – Diffusion filter set

Thanks Mark! This is a helpful starting point for sure.

Tim

Big Negs Rock!

You're welcome. Keep up posted & enjoy your shooting!
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Hello! I am Hartley Harrison, and believe it or not, I am alive and well, and living in Mesa Az. I am 81 years old, and still can answer most questions you might have about ANY of our filters, manufactured from 1929-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Harrison View Post
    Hello! I am Hartley Harrison, and believe it or not, I am alive and well, and living in Mesa Az. I am 81 years old, and still can answer most questions you might have about ANY of our filters, manufactured from 1929-2008.
    Hello Mr. Harrison! Welcome to the LFPF!

I am really just beginning my experimentation with these filters on large format film. I would love to know more about the development of these filters and their original intended use. It's great to have such knowledge available here!

Thanks in advance for sharing your time and knowledge.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Hi Tim!
    First, let's establish what you have. Are they the set of D-1 through D-5? If so, what size are they, and are they a "frosted"look, or more smoky with black dots?
    What specific info are you looking for
    on these? Their history?How they originated? What they are used for?
    I am happy to answer your questions, and if you are truly interested, I believe I have the original ads that go with a set of Diffusion filters.
    Please let me know specifically what you would like to know, and I will provide all the information you are looking for.
    Best wishes,
    Hank

Interesting, I picked up a set in Porterville, CA years ago. Good for portraits.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Hi Jon,
    You are correct in that you bought a set in Porterville. After my father and the founder of Harrison & Harrison passed away, I moved the buisness out of Hollywood and to Porterville in the early eighties.

Mr. Harrison,

Thank you again for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise!

The filters that I have are labeled "LS Lindahl Specialities, Inc." With the individual filters being labeled D1-D5. They came in a wood box with a shade/holder and also by Lindahl.

I was told when I was researching these that they were originally created for motion picture work but I am re-appropriating them for large format film work. They are not that large so I can use them on few of my LF lenses but I have been experimenting a bit with them in front of my 1920's 300mm Dagor with interesting results.

I would love to know what these were originally created for and if you have recommendations for ways to best show their strengths based on your knowledge and expertise.

Thanks again, it's great to have you here!

Tim Scott
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Hi Tim,
    Diffusion filters originated in the 1930's. Originally, they were created to take the harshness that film and lense created out of the picture and soften it back to what the naked eye sees.
    The camera picks up everything, and
    especially when filming close ups in the movies, it would pick up flaws on
    the faces of the actors. The industry
    needed a way to "hide" the flaws, and
    out of that need, diffusion filters were
    created. Interesting fact: you have a
    basic set D-1 to D-5, Katherine
    Hepburn demanded to be shot with D-
    10!
    These filters have been used from portraits to landscape to dream sequences. It all depends on the creativity of the photographer.
    Your particular set, was made for Lindahl Specialties, probably in the eighties. If I remember correctly, they are a 3-1/2 inch square. We at the time did not make a filter in that size,so all of the lindahl filters were made specifically for that company.
    I would like to also address the issue of the glare that was a problem for years concerning these filters. We fought with how to correct this problem for years. The solution was a new Diffusion filter. The Black Dot Diffusion Filter. We finally solved the problem. And, if I may pound my own chest for a minute, Harrison &Harrison received a Scientific Technical Acheivement Acadamy Award for this diffusion filter.
    I hope I have answered some of your questions, and as I remember other facts, I will post them for you. I apologize but my memory is a little fuzzy, so I take longer to remember than most people.

Regards,
    Hank

It is wonderful that you are here, Hank.

I gather that the Black Dot Diffusion Filter is more than just glass with (apparently) random dots. Any tips to using them, such as how far from the lens they should be with a normal focal length lens?

Interesting fact: you have a basic set D-1 to D-5, Katherine Hepburn demanded to be shot with D-10!
    Can the filters be stacked?