Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ansel Adams' Best at the Getty in LA

Re: Ansel Adams' Best at the Getty in LA

Went to the Getty yesterday to see the A.A. show, They had some nice prints hanging and would have enjoyed seeing them a lot more if they would turn on the lights.

Micheal, how was it getting there with all the freeway construction?
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

I went on a Tuesday about 9:30-10:00 am or so, freeway was ok but they were doing construction right next to the parking area but not to much of a hassle . From Norwalk it did not take me more than 45minutes to get there.

So sorry, Heroique, but this exhibit was just in Portland. Saw it on the 10th at the Oregon Historical Society. This is the first time I have seen an actual Adams print. They were very beautiful, I was somewhat surprised that many were very dark and contrasty.

I could kick my butt. There was an exhibit of Ansel Adams photos at a museum here last year and I didn't know about it until it was too late.

Thanks for bringing this up. I checked the schedule and it's coming to my neck of the woods (well, 4 hours away, but close enough) in the fall.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

We went on Sunday and I always love to see Ansel's work. They showed two different Moonrise prints from different years. Very interesting to see how we all change how we print over time.

They also have an exhibit up called Royal Passion: Queen Victoria and Photography that is great for any alternative process printers. For me the highlight was the four carbon transfer prints from the 1870's. Looked like they were printed yesterday!

I looked at those also Jim, and was impressed with the Albumin (sp) and salt prints and there max density they had in the darker tones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    We went on Sunday and I always love to see Ansel's work. They showed two different Moonrise prints from different years. Very interesting to see how we all change how we print over time.

They also have an exhibit up called Royal Passion: Queen Victoria and Photography that is great for any alternative process printers. For me the highlight was the four carbon transfer prints from the 1870's. Looked like they were printed yesterday!

I went to the Getty with the wife this Sunday. They had a number of Ansel's early and later works; enough to be able to compare his style as they progress through the years. What really intrigued me is the "Lodgepole Pines". I knew it was a soft focused image, but seeing the actual print and how the aberrations just made the leaves shimmer was captivating.

The albumen and salt prints of the royals are amazing. Lot's of CDV size and a number of whole plate. Fenton's "Valley of Shadow of Death" was there too and many of his other works. One from Frederick Archer was also on display, I believe it was "The Castle".

What really impressed me the most is seeing a huge daguerreotype. The size wasn't stated but it was bigger than 11x14, I suspect it was 14x17. I can't imagine the amount of buffing it took to get that mirror finish and the delicate handling for the gilding process.

If you are near LA and want to see early photography, it's a "can't miss".
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

I'm going in May. Flying down from Seattle.