Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson V750 a lot of problems...

Epson V750 a lot of problems...

Hi Everyone,

I am Simone from Florence, Italy. I just purchased a used Epson V750 from internet. Everything works fine with normal documents, but as soon as I scan color or bw negative everything turns wrong. In the attachment I included the preview (looks fine) and the ugly scan (does the same thing when I zoom from the preview).
    Do you think that is a software issue or a sort of defect with my unit.
    Thanks for your time guys...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schermata 2014-03-14 alle 23.26.15.png   Schermata 2014-03-14 alle 23.30.30.jpg  

Re: Epson V750 a lot of problems...

Have you read the manual?
    Do you have all the modes se correctly?
    Did u remove the white document scanning pad thingy that covers the light source?

Likely a software issue. Like Vinny said, go through the manual and experiment with the software. I use both the epson software and Silverfast 8.

give us a screenshot of your RGB histograms and i'm sure you can get some better feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Have you read the manual?
    Do you have all the modes se correctly?
    Did u remove the white document scanning pad thingy that covers the light source?
    It does kind of look like he forgot to take that blue sticky coating off of the scanner doesn't it?

But probably he has it set for color negative when he scanning slides phone or something silly like that...

Please double check your settings and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It does kind of look like he forgot to take that blue sticky coating off of the scanner doesn't it?

But probably he has it set for color negative when he scanning slides phone or something silly like that...

Please double check your settings and good luck!
    I was referrring to the document scanning pad.
    I doubt the blue protective film you speak of remains on this machine since he purchased it used.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I was referrring to the document scanning pad.
    I doubt the blue protective film you speak of remains on this machine since he purchased it used.
    ahh, gotcha... Hey, ya never know... Lol

Guys, its ok ...I'm Italian, but I'm not so lazy that I don't ck the blue film glass cover or the white pad protection or if I am scanning negatives or transparencies... come on!

Epson V750 a lot of problems...

Quote Originally Posted by corto View Post
    Guys, its ok ...I'm Italian, but I'm not so lazy that I don't ck the blue film glass cover or the white pad protection or if I am scanning negatives or transparencies... come on!
    There are three options with the Epson software ...

Which type of holder... (Holder, reflective, or film area guide) make sure it's NOT "reflective" and if you are using the holders make sure to select "holders"

Next make sure it is set to color 48bit color is best...

Then select film TYPE (different from scanning color) probably color negative? From the looks of the scan.

Next turn off the darn anti dust stuff etc.

I don't know why the images would be so strange UNLESS you accidentally (or the lab?) cross-processed the film in the wrong developer, but that seems a bit hard to believe they would mess up like that.

Also, check that the film is in the holder and the edges of the film are not exposed away from the black edges, it could be some kind of "light piping" where the scanning light hits the edge of the film and sends light through the film causing a strange discoloration, but truly I doubt that's the issue...

I've never seen this, it's very strange...

The only other thing I can think of is the color profile attached to the scanner has been altered.

I've never actually adjusted the color profile on my own scanner as the colors seems just perfect for me right out-of-the-box, but if the previous owner decided to adjust them, maybe they need to be readjusted, I'm not sure of the full procedure so I can't help you with that part but see if you can find the area of the program that deals with the color profile and see if maybe there are different options including resetting it back to normal? Or factory settings?

Best of luck, this is a tough one to figure out!

Salud!

~Stone

Quote Originally Posted by corto View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am Simone from Florence, Italy. I just purchased a used Epson V750 from internet. Everything works fine with normal documents, but as soon as I scan color or bw negative everything turns wrong. In the attachment I included the preview (looks fine) and the ugly scan (does the same thing when I zoom from the preview).
    Do you think that is a software issue or a sort of defect with my unit.
    Thanks for your time guys...
    Switch on the V750 wait 30 seconds
    Start EPSON Scan software
    At the top right of the Epson Scan control panel set the Mode: to Professional Mode
    Where it says Document Type: set it to Film (with Film Holder)
    Next set film type to whatever film you are about to scan
    If you selected B&W Negative Film set the next option, Image Type to 16-bit Grayscale
    If you selected Color Negative Film set the Image Type to 48-bit Color
    Uncheck Speed priority scanning
    Set Resolution to the biggest it will let you work with, I use 3200 dpi for Black and White except for whole plate and 8x10 when 1200 is about all it can cope with
    Ignore target size because you will use Normal rather than Thumbnails on the other panel (where you see your previews)
    Click Preview let it make the preview scan.
    After the preview scan has been made outline the first frame with the cursor, which will draw a box of broad dotted lines around the frame.
    On the right hand Epson Scan panel click Trimming to Off
    Click off Unsharp Mask and all other boxes underneath
    Now click on either the icon with a black histogram representation on it this gives you another box over on the left for you to adjust the levels with. When you have those as you want click the Close button on the bottom right of this screen and it will disappear
    Draw round the next frame as before and repeat the operations of no trimming, no unsharp mask, no dust etc etc. DO NOT LET THE SCANNER DO ANY OF THESE OPTIONS. You keep control for yourself as the scanner will SPOIL your images if allowed to do all these ambitious things on its own.

For colour work still outline your frames but in this case accept the standard output and make your changes later in Photoshop or similar.

When you have outlined each frame and set each one up (if B&W) then click the first frame.
    Then in this same box with all your frames displayed at the top left you will see an icon that looks like a torch or something similar, click that and then click All.
    Then back on the other control panel click Scan and then answer the questions where you want to save the scanned images to and what name and numbering sequence you want.

As has been said already, make sure the white background pad has been removed from the lid. You should be able to see through all of the glass in the lid. Another thing to watch is that the holder is correctly positioned on the platen. I thought I'd broken mine when scan after scan was coming out blank, as soon as I positioned the holder correctly, the problem went away completely.

Come back if you still have any problems...

RR