Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70 Inch Goerz APO Artar

Re: 70 Inch Goerz APO Artar

But what's it done for you lately?

Quote Originally Posted by dgibbphoto View Post
    I do own one of these Goerz Red Dot Lens. I used it for years on a Brown process camera creating 4'x6' pieces of film for a cartography lab. Its a real piece of optical engineering.Attachment 122731Attachment 122732Attachment 122733
    Tin Can

I'm thinking Graflex "Big Bertha". After building the camera, rent a bucket truck and mount it to the bucket. Either the photographer could be up in the bucket or use a video camera and electrorelease to fire the camera. Still would have to bring it down to change the film holder. Would be pretty cool!

I just looked at my modest Goerz archive. An August 1970 price list shows $3987.50 for the 70 inch Red Dot Artar (at this time Goerz was owned by Kollmorgen). And a May 1975 price list shows the price had more than doubled to $8200. (By 1975 Goerz was owned by Schneider Corporation of America.)
    David

Mr. Lindquist, those list prices suggest to me that if you asked, and put up a lot of money, they would make one for you. Those lenses weren't sitting on a shelf waiting to sell! Which reminds me that in the late 1980s, Leica had a special deal going; if you ordered one of their super-telephoto lenses, an 800mm I think, they would throw in a VW Fox to go with it. One of the cheapest new cars of the time, but still, a new car to sweeten the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Mr. Lindquist, those list prices suggest to me that if you asked, and put up a lot of money, they would make one for you. Those lenses weren't sitting on a shelf waiting to sell! Which reminds me that in the late 1980s, Leica had a special deal going; if you ordered one of their super-telephoto lenses, an 800mm I think, they would throw in a VW Fox to go with it. One of the cheapest new cars of the time, but still, a new car to sweeten the deal.
    I expect you are right Mark. A 70 inch Red Dot Artar, like high end machine tools (think Monarch 1000EE lathe) to pick one example, were not commodity items that would be in the inventory of the maker, much less the distributer, just waiting for a buyer.

David

Very nice ... drool ... just what I need ...

Quote Originally Posted by dgibbphoto View Post
    I do own one of these Goerz Red Dot Lens. I used it for years on a Brown process camera creating 4'x6' pieces of film for a cartography lab. Its a real piece of optical engineering.Attachment 122731Attachment 122732Attachment 122733

Lets talk, Rudi