Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 vs 4x5 keep/sell/wait/ the merry go round continues

8x10 vs 4x5 keep/sell/wait/ the merry go round continues

So,

I'm back with this dilemma again. I currently have a 4x5 field camera and a super cheap monorail with 90,135, 150, 180mm lenses. I also have a Cambo/Calumet C1 in really nice condition.
    A short while back, due to being 'between jobs', I sold my 300mm lens and 5 8x10 filmholders.

I am trying to decide to decide whether it's worth keeping the 8x10, with a view to gradually getting back into the format. I've sat down with a notepad and made out a pro's/cons list but I can't decide.

I shoot a mix of film/moving image work (no clients for this yet, but plenty featured work) portraits (digital, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5 & very occasionally 8x10)
    I have a few projects in mind that I feel the 8x10 would be perfect for, I have used fairly recently for this project www.soundportraits.net

But, I keep going to-and-fro between wanting to just concentrate on 4x5 where the cost is substantially lower and there is still a visual 'signature', or using both formats, but using the 8x10 more selectively.
    I'm still 'between jobs' as my teaching contract was terminated last Summer due to cutbacks & commissions are thin on the ground.

8x10 film costs €115 for 50 sheets Fomapan, that's about $164

I know I probably have too much lens coverage in 4x5; 135 and 150 are very close after all, as is 180. and I'm left with the short-term problem of re-acquiring holders and a 300mm lens.

Words of wisdom appreciated....

I have a mini-project set up for my hometown using 4x5 or 8x10 during an arts festival and a few other short-term projects in mind, and have been trying to convince myself that maybe I could crowd-fund these projects.

Thanks, D

Think First

Think very carefully about what you really want to do.

I have regrets about nearly every camera and lens that I have sold off or traded away in the past thirty years.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Think First

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Think very carefully about what you really want to do.

I have regrets about nearly every camera and lens that I have sold off or traded away in the past thirty years.
    Yes, know that feeling.

Re: 8x10 vs 4x5 keep/sell/wait/ the merry go round continues

Eliminating a format from your arsenal altogether can be a tough decision. I sympathize. In the last year I've sold off many cameras and lenses and have no regrets, but I still have all the formats I want to shoot covered by other gear. However, if you give up 8x10 for now there is no reason you can't get back into it at a later date.

Good luck!

Jonathan

If you have two 4x5 cameras why not just sell the field camera (guessing you would get at least $600 or more) then buy a 300mm lens and some 8x10 holders?

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Eliminating a format from your arsenal altogether can be a tough decision. I sympathize. In the last year I've sold off many cameras and lenses and have no regrets, but I still have all the formats I want to shoot covered by other gear. However, if you give up 8x10 for now there is no reason you can't get back into it at a later date.

Good luck!

Jonathan
    thanks Jonathan, it's the worry of how long it will take to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by EricOmori View Post
    If you have two 4x5 cameras why not just sell the field camera (guessing you would get at least $600 or more) then buy a 300mm lens and some 8x10 holders?
    I use the 4x5 field quite a lot and I shoot a lot of colour with it, something I definitely can't afford in 8x10, but yes, I could sell something. I have another field camera I've been trying to sell for a few weeks and I could probably sell one of the lenses. Cheers, D

But if you have two 4x5 cameras I don't see why you can't just sell the more expensive one and still shoot color with your "cheap monorail"...I mean you got the glass and I would doubt a monorail will lack any movements you need.

Just a thought

Sell your field camera, one of the 135mm or 150mm, and get a part-time job for your 8x10 habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Sell your field camera, one of the 135mm or 150mm, and get a part-time job for your 8x10 habit.
    If only it were that simple, I do have an 'extra' 4x5 field (A Toyo) I've been trying to sell for weeks, jobs are not easy to come by in this economy