Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: time for a 4x5 field upgrade

Re: time for a 4x5 field upgrade

The Chamonix is extremely lightweight and beautiful, but wouldn't be my choice. I would highly miss some features like zero detents, as far as I know the Chamonix doesn't offer this.
    My choice would be a Toyo 45-AX or 45-AII, see http://www.toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html, or Wista 45SP (I think it is the 4502 model here: http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sho...a/e_camera.htm). I like the concept of these sturdy cameras with lots of movements.
    OK, in fact my choice recently was a Master Technika 3000, but it is not cheap. Anyway, if you can afford it, a Linhof will be a reliable and pleasant tool to work with.

Canham DLC ... not sealed up in a box when closed but quite compact. Great movements.
    Jeff Kelelr

Oh yes, I forgot about the Canham! Great camera, love the look and construction.

So far it's between a Toyo (unsure which model probably not the CF), Chamonix f1, and the Shen Hao HZX 4X5-IIA.
    Canham is out of my price range (max 1000).

I've recently switched from a Plaubel Peco Profia (3rd model if I remember correctly, with the rectangular rail) to the Chamonix 045F1 and I really like it so far (although I haven't been able to put it through its paces yet, only a few sheets thus far). But it's well made, light weight of course, very well crafted/machined etc. As far as the zero detents are concerned the Chamonix has white dot markings for the zero positions. Although short in use I'm already pretty impressed and convinced it's a 'keeper'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollinhofuji View Post
    The Chamonix is extremely lightweight and beautiful, but wouldn't be my choice. I would highly miss some features like zero detents, as far as I know the Chamonix doesn't offer this.
    My choice would be a Toyo 45-AX or 45-AII, see http://www.toyoview.com/ProductInfo/ProductInfo.html, or Wista 45SP (I think it is the 4502 model here: http://www.wista.co.jp/e_wista/e_sho...a/e_camera.htm). I like the concept of these sturdy cameras with lots of movements.
    OK, in fact my choice recently was a Master Technika 3000, but it is not cheap. Anyway, if you can afford it, a Linhof will be a reliable and pleasant tool to work with.

Chamonix has some zero detents and ALL possible zero markings, so it is easy to zero the camera. Essentially a non-issue.

Thanks Rolf for being more precise (my comment wasn't).

Thanks Rolfe and Andy,

I only once had the opportunity to play with a Chamonix, I guess it was an early model. The owner complained about the zeroing, although it wasn't a big problem to him (he mostly does landscape).
    For me this would be a KO criterium.

feigenbaum, for its pure beauty and weight, used for landscape or portrait work, I would probably choose the Chamonix. On the other hand, the Toyo would probably be a better fit for "technical" work, like architecture. It should be more expensive.

The Chamonix F1 also has asymmetrical back tilt. Not replacement for front tilt all the time, but when it works, it saves a lot of time to get the tilt effect right. Basically, just focus once and TILT! (the downside is the foreground objects will appear larger)

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    The Chamonix F1 also has asymmetrical back tilt. Not replacement for front tilt all the time, but when it works, it saves a lot of time to get the tilt effect right. Basically, just focus once and TILT! (the downside is the foreground objects will appear larger)
    Foreground objects looking larger is also a benefit, if that's the effect you're after. Basically it's an effect you're totally in control of.