Thread: FLM Centerball 38 FT question

FLM Centerball 38 FT question

Hello all,

I'm looking for someone who has experience with the FLM Centerball 38 FT ballhead. From the specs it seems amazing...it's able to hold 55lbs while weighing less than 1lb. Would anyone know if this could be a workhorse ballhead for a Cambo SC 8x10 view camera? The camera with lens weighs about 14lbs and is currently my heaviest set up.

I know this may seem like a dumb question since the specs say it will work but I'm just hoping a few users can comment on their experience with FLM ballheads (pros/cons)

Thanks in advance!

PS- Here is the link to the product http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...all_38_FT.html
    Last edited by axs810; 25-Jan-2017 at 19:45.

Re: FLM Centerball 38 FT question

Eric,

The 38FT is a good ball head, and the claimed specs are true.
    I have used the 38FT with both a 4x5 field camera (Wista) and a light-ish 8x10 camera (Kodak Commercial View, about 10 lbs with lens).

The ball head worked with both cameras, but I must say it felt better when the lighter Wista was on it.

All manufacturers test their ball heads with commonly used gear, such as a big DSLR and long lens; this is ok, because the weight is balanced mostly on top of the ball head.

They don't test using VCs, and there the weight is pulling down at two ends, often far apart from each other, so it's a different ball game.

All that to say, I'd suggest getting a ball head that is one size larger than what you think you need.
    I would suggest at least the CB-43FT for an 8x10, but experience tells me you'll be much happier with a CB-48FT.

As for myself, I use a CB-58FT for everything, including a Toyo 810M, which weighs 15 lbs naked, and I am extremely pleased with its performance.

Thank you for your response Ari! I will look into the CB-43FT and CB-48FT.

If my camera set up weighs 14lbs and the FLM Centerball 38 FT is able to hold 55lbs wouldn't that already be enough? Or am I not understanding this correctly? The only reason why I gear my questions more towards the FLM Centerball 38 FT is because it's the most affordable option compared to a lot of other FLM ballheads.

That's true, it is less expensive.

I suggest a larger ball head, not because the specs are misleading, but because the level of comfort with off-centre loads is better with a larger ball head.

With the smaller 38FT, you'll find yourself tightening the friction to its maximum most of the time with 8x10.
    Whereas with a 43FT or 48FT, you'll have more room to manoeuvre.

The wider base of the larger ball heads is a good steadying feature to have as well.

Finally, the tilt lock knob on the 38FT and 43FT is smaller than that of the next two larger ball heads, so with greater surface area (of the tilt lock knob's O-ring), you have greater stability at higher loads.

I've had a few people buy the smaller ball heads because of the lower price, only to return it for a larger ball head, because of the added feeling of security and comfort in use.

I'd recommend, in real-world use, a CB48FT for even the very lightest of 8x10 cameras, only because of the two different loads placed upon the ball head, and for the added control that's required with a VC.

Ooh! Alright now that makes perfect sense..thank you for explaining