Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley Light

Re: Death Valley Light

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    P.S. I found a discussion by Adams in Book 4, Natural-Light Photography, of the Basic Photo Series which includes almost all points made above depending on circumstance and eventual resolution. In other words, a good understanding of light, filter use, and visualization trumps any particular circumstance. He made specific mention of Weston's DV work even at high noon under full sun.
    Okay, so here is the bent poop from the Desert Photography section of the book, which for some reason seems to have been left out of the later versions of The Negative when the Basic Photo Series was folded into the new series of three books, and I believe addresses many of the issues queried in this thread.

• Moderately strong filters may be justified to overcome the general lack of contrast in desert environments, with the exception of red rock country of the American Southwest. Frequently, because of strong sun and atmospheric effects, contrast will appear to be higher than it actually is. Vast open skies can produce brighter open shadows from reflected illumination. The brilliance of the "high key" light is what defines the desert for many, and I suspect the normal reason to go to DV, and small shadows may be visualized as very black in order to provide important contrast.
    • A practical solution is to use filters of moderate strength (NO REDS, unless your intention is not natural light photography), lower your (zone) placements, and expand development N+1, to attain sufficient contrast.
    • With respect to specific filtration of the un–red rock desert (where green is highly recommended) yellows can be used. When yellow is employed without applying a filter factor yellow rock will be recorded with almost the same opacity in the negative as if no filter were used. But, blues (e.g., sky) will be darkened to a greater extent than if an exposure factor were applied with normal exposure. If a yellow filter reduced sky values by one zone using normal exposure and applying the filter factor, it might, with normal exposure and no filter factor, further lower the sky values an additional zone. Two, two for the price of one!

For the straight poop, read Adams for yourself and interpret as you see fit!

I happen to have a copy of the Adams and Newhall Death Valley book (my wife keeps buying these books for me at used bookstores in Pasadena) and took the opportunity to review the pictures in it last night. Despite the rather poor printing, one can see examples of application of his technique and visualizations as relates above.

For myself, my normal desires do not include high key visualizations, and seeking storm light in the desert precludes some of Adams' general advice, in these circumstances. I have had very good success with deep yellow filters and N or N-1 development, depending on the light, at Eureka Dunes (i.e., sand and sky). For DV proper this time around, I exposed two negatives at the Artist Palette, one as stated previously, and another including the sky with a polarizer, which worked exceptionally strongly for me for a change. I did not use a yellow filter for true educational purposes and comparing of negatives, at that location. Both negatives appear to be very fine tonally, however, I've learned that the use of the Pyro developer often belies their eventual transferal into a fine print. Shooting in the desert will test your understanding of exposure and printing in a similar fashion to snow, as no where else can.

Sorry I missed you Vaughn.
    Last edited by ROL; 7-Mar-2014 at 12:36. Reason: The 'Negative'

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    When you are rained on 24/7, the thought of being in a dry place for a few days sounds great!
    I lived in Portland, OR for a couple of years. I was never so happy to return to California, for a number of reasons (I get to pump my own gas!). I am still cleaning fungus out from my ears . Those people are f'ing crazy up there when they hit the desert.

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Saline is a treasure in its own right, but you need to be well supplied. It's most easily accessed from the north end, where the pass can easily snow shut for a week at a time or more when Saline is itself comfortable. Always check with official ranger offices before taking any odd roads in that area. No place to get stuck. I remember soaking in one of those hot springs by moonlight once while some venison steaks were grilling on a Coleman stove on the tailgate. Dern coyote walked
    right up and pulled one right off the hot grill! Then that particular spot got hippified by some snowbirders until the park drove em out. But Saline is a big big area,
    and the adjacent Inyos are an extremely rugged range - again, no place to go hiking if you're not very well prepared and conditioned.
    The truth for sure. I returned through the north pass when I took the Steele Pass to Eureka. I had chains on all four tires of the truck. At that time the south pass was the more reliable route but the north was prone to snow though it was far shorter trip from Mammoth. I once tried the Sierra Gordo pass in the snow. Got within 100 yards before I had to turn around. Just about ran it out of gas. That is something else to carry, extra gas................and water. We had flax water bags hanging from the front of the truck just in case. Had to use it a couple times too.

When I was there it was always hippyish or more accurately "desert rat" kind of place...............until some group from Napa Valley or some such place would invade. But those groups normally went to the upper springs were the pools were newer. The view is from either site is astounding. Directions at that time were, "Just turn left at the burned out road grader." It was rumored to have been burned my Charlie Manson, a subject you did not talk about with the regulars.

Drew Wiley

I ceased to be amused by the snowbirders when they took white rocks, probably dolomite, and made a big giant "peace" sign with this on the side of that beautiful
    red volcano behind the springs. There were quite a few other alleged "improvements" to the area which were deemed improper for a Natl Park. I still remember the
    place when it was relatively pristine. Some years the side roads can be almost impassible, if not deliberately closed. Extra gas, lots of extra water, extra tires.....

Death Valley is the lowest point in North America (the world?), with other things being equal, won't the air also be denser than anywhere else?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Of course, there is also a lot more atmosphere to shoot through than in higher elevations.

Drew Wiley

Death Valley is largely free from pollution, so the air can be remarkably clear even at lower elevations. Dust storms obviously impact that equation in certain spots.
    It's when you get over into Panamint Valley that some of the stirred up pollution from Owen's lakebed seems to start kicking in a little; but even it is relatively clean.
    Saline Valley is a bit higher. But on any photographic trip to any of these areas you might find yourself at distinctly higher elevations, even on the road. Not to mention there might be a temptation just to swing over to someplace like Whitney Portal for a day, since it's so close.

2 Bit Hack

I just looked at the lower springs on Google Earth and saw that three arrows passing thru a circle like it was indicating a bearing. Dark rock too. I did not see the peace symbol.

Dolomite? I thought that was travertine?.............not that it matters. The color variation in the rock have always fascinated me but I have never been able to capture the tonal much less color variations to my liking. Again, filtering is the issue.

Would the variation in the rock force a choice in filtering, pick a color to highlight so to speak?

Ansel Adams and Nancy Newhall wrote a very good and informative entire little book about Death Valley. Worth reading ahead if you're gong there.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

I'll have to take a look. The peace sign vandalism didn't exist when I visited Saline Valley long ago. It has shown up in many pictures since, and might be changing as the NP slowly dismantles it. There is also an Indian tribe that claims sacredness to the hill and has objected to it being there. My guess it that it's dolomite because that is the most common kind of white rock in adjacent ranges. No travertine around there as I recall. The pools at the springs are artificially encased with concrete. There used to be a lot of banana-shaped red lava bombs atop that hill. Salt would have dissolved by now, though it was once mined in Saline Valley (hence the name). The miners went to the almost superhuman effort of building a tram clear over the Inyos - a very steep rough range at that vicinity. But just about the time they were finished, the salt evaporation pits in the south part of SF Bay were commercially operating at obviously vastly lower expense, so all that effort in Saline Valley was a waste. I find it a remarkable ironical story of stubborn resolve to get rich ending up in sheer futility.