Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: KEH - good source for used lenses?

Re: Is KEH good for LF lenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Here you go, Stone!. Just 8.6 ounces.
    I already own the fujinon 300mm C and that's close enough to 240 that I don't need both, what I need is a wider lens, close to 90mm in 4x5 (which is 200mm in 8x10) a 450mm C and a 600mm C and perhaps someday something longer, but for now, those are my choices, I have already decided on the 450 and 600 so truly I just need a good 200mm that covers 8x10, this would be for sweeping landscape but with some tilt to close up objects. So I need some movement capability.

As for lens caps, do you think that if I call them and buy over the phone, I can get them to ship it with the lens caps ON the lens? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

As for lens caps, do you think that if I call them and buy over the phone, I can get them to ship it with the lens caps ON the lens? Lol
    Somehow, I seem to have got you obsessing about the lens caps. It's simple, if you want them, be sure they are included and, if they are not, order the lens caps with the lens and pay extra for them. As to shipping, you should not get into that. Click on the condition given for the lens. If that is what you want, then it is up to KEH to get it to you in that condition. If they do not, you can return it. If you try to insert yourself into their internal procedures for shipping, then you unnecessarily complicate things and you give them an out if something goes wrong. In other words, they have to pack it in a way that works. If you change that and it goes wrong, then it is your problem, not theirs.

I already own the fujinon 300mm C and that's close enough to 240 that I don't need both, what I need is a wider lens, close to 90mm in 4x5 (which is 200mm in 8x10) a 450mm C and a 600mm C and perhaps someday something longer, but for now, those are my choices, I have already decided on the 450 and 600 so truly I just need a good 200mm that covers 8x10, this would be for sweeping landscape but with some tilt to close up objects. So I need some movement capability.

At the wide end for 8x10 if you want a large image circle for plenty of movements the lenses are very expensive and big and heavy. You just don't have the choices like you do in 4x5. You might look at the Fujinon 210 like Vinny has. It's not expensive and has some room for movements. It is probably heavier than you want. There is also the old Wollensak 159mm lens.

Call KEH and ask them how they can ship the lens. I have yet to buy from them but they have an excellent reputation.

Cut holes in your bellows and drill holes in your film holders to reduce the weight. This will offset the HEAVY lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Cut holes in your bellows and drill holes in your film holders to reduce the weight. This will offset the HEAVY lenses.
    Lens weight can be reduced substantially by removing the front or rear cell, or both.

Added advantages of removing both cells are zero distortion, and light attenuation is reduced to zero.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

The Wollensak 159mm EWA or f/9.5 WA "yellow dot" Velostigmat is very wide and light weight, hardly any movements on an 8x10 though, but sure is inexpensive!
    A Schneider 165mm f/8 Super Angulon is very wide, heavy like a boat anchor and has acceptable movements but will cost you considerably more.
    A Nikon 120mm SW is also worth considering
    Take your pick!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I want a 20x24 velociraptor with no crustaceous on the lens! The Fuji 420c could be that old time favorite!

I would generally only use a modern lens for the work I plan to do, if I'm using an older lens it would be for 4x5 or some kind of paper neg or wet plate and then I wouldn't worry about weight as I wouldn't be out in the wilderness.

I think the 120mm is a bit wide.... 18mm equivalent in 35mm ... wow now that's wide!! It's also a bit heavy, but as was said, that "wide" a FL and the glass gets heavy...

It's fairly heavy, but I'm impressed at its coverage. I will admit it would be stunning in some very specific and choice locations, I feel like it's applications are so few and far between it would be more of the type of lens that I would use once I'm already famous and could afford it and get good use out of it. As of now I have a 75mm grandson that I haven't used a single time in 4x5 and keep gravitating to the 90mm .... Iroinc since I often used the 43mm in my Mamiya 7 ...

This is one of those "I see differently in different formats" thing I think... so who knows, maybe I'll see wider in 8x10....

As far as weight savings, why not just make the body out of cardboard and staple bellows to that, that will save a lot of weight! I could make movements simply by denting the corrugated!

Steve, wise advice about not messing with their system, I guess they will find a way to ship it safely. I'm just surprised they don't automatically include caps, at least cheapo caps, wouldn't even cost them an extra $1... meh, I'm going to keep looking as the price is high as someone else said. But when I do get he money, they'll be MINE!

Hmmm maybe when I'm ready to find that 200ish mm FL for 8x10 I'll start a new thread. Seems like a tough one to find.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The Wollensak 159mm EWA or f/9.5 WA "yellow dot" Velostigmat is very wide and light weight, hardly any movements on an 8x10 though, but sure is inexpensive!
    A Schneider 165mm f/8 Super Angulon is very wide, heavy like a boat anchor and has acceptable movements but will cost you considerably more.
    A Nikon 120mm SW is also worth considering
    Take your pick!

I'm just surprised they don't automatically include caps...
    They ship whatever they received with the lens from the previous owner.

That may include zero, one, or two caps, from the lens manufacturer or after-market.

Remember, this is used equipment.

Expending a lot of time and effort rounding up accessories would greatly increase their cost.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

I got all my LF lenses through KEH but one. A Nikon 210mm was missing one of the screws that hold the cable release post. I contacted KEH the afternoon I received the lense, had a reply that evening. Had the replacement screw the day after.

Just to highlight KEH's attitude towards their customers, I received a Polariod 4x5 back that had some kind of smoodge on the rollers that was leaving a streak that showed on the developed film. I emailed KEH to let them know and told them I would try to clear the rollers and if I couldn't would return the back. The rollers cleaned up fine and I let KEH know everything was good. I got a reply saying "thanks" and they refunded me $15 for my trouble.

KEH is my first look for anything I want to buy.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?