Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: One Tripod to Rule Them All?

Re: One Tripod to Rule Them All?

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    Curious. Why would you say wood's better than metal? Afaik both resonate w a good range-else musical instruments would be with different material?
    ____

@analoguey:

I am unable to PM you with a 'detailed' answer to your question.
    However, to get you started...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...p/t-48200.html

But of course... What makes for a 'great' Musical Instrument doesn't necessarily 'transmit' (*No pun intended) into what makes for a great Tripod. They are two totally different animals to speak of... And are thus designed accordingly!
    --
    However,
    from 'time to time'... Some LF Cameras are mistaken for musical Accordions!!!

_________

I've gone from having several tripods and a studio stand to two, and the main move was to get a Gitzo GT5540LS legset (purchased new), which I usually use with an Arca-Swiss B2 head (purchased used and refurbished by Precision Camera Works), and I have a few options regarding the center column. I saw the legset at PhotoPlus one year and knew that would let me clear out a lot of other gear, because my "big" tripod could be about the same weight as what I'd previously considered a "medium" tripod. Eventually I added a Feisol CT-3441S travel tripod, which I usually use with a Linhof Ballhead 1, for when I want something really light and compact for travel. I've felt pretty much set for tripods now for several years with just those two.

If your biggest camera is going to be a lightweight 8x10", I'd save up for a carbon-fiber Gitzo 3-series and the head of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I've gone from having several tripods and a studio stand to two, and the main move was to get a Gitzo GT5540LS legset (purchased new), which I usually use with an Arca-Swiss B2 head (purchased used and refurbished by Precision Camera Works), and I have a few options regarding the center column. I saw the legset at PhotoPlus one year and knew that would let me clear out a lot of other gear, because my "big" tripod could be about the same weight as what I'd previously considered a "medium" tripod. Eventually I added a Feisol CT-3441S travel tripod, which I usually use with a Linhof Ballhead 1, for when I want something really light and compact for travel. I've felt pretty much set for tripods now for several years with just those two.

If your biggest camera is going to be a lightweight 8x10", I'd save up for a carbon-fiber Gitzo 3-series and the head of your choice.

I'm leaning to a Basalt series 3... Would you spring the extra cash for the CF in the same series?

Bob beat me to it. I have a 50's Linhof Heavy Duty Pro tripod, it's the same as the current model he listed, but I can add the matching Deluxe Geared Dolly, the 24" Extension Column and a really large Heavy Duty Levelling Pan/Tilt Head, to push the total weight much higher. I only move this by van.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Linhof 003323 Heavy Duty Pro tripod with the Large Geared Center Post and the 003669 Profi 3 Universal Pan/Tilt Head = 31.4 lbs.

If you use the 003672 Precision Micro Cradle Head then you would add another 3 pounds.

Good grief! There are OTHER sufferers of tripoditis... but I only have three tripods, one monopod so far, so I am a not too far advanced case. Bear in mind, all were purchased for DSLRs and compacts. The biggest Feisol CT3472 gets the most use, equipped with an Arca-Swiss Z1. I have a mini-Feisol CT4432 with Arca-Swiss p0 for light duty and a Manfrotto 055 (my first legset) with Manfrotto 410 geared head. So, 3# to 8# range. Monopod, 2# with heavy-duty Custom Brackets tilt head (overkill, but I use it for a 400mm f/5.6 lens). Hanging weight from the hook works in non-windy situations. The Manfrotto vibrates in wind, the carbon fiber legsets don't vibrate noticeably.

I noticed an article on the main page on how to adapt a surveyor's tripod.

Today I looked at the Feisol CT-3441S for travel. Is it worth getting the Feisol head or adding a different one on? I have two Linhof ball heads, one is small and the other is larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Today I looked at the Feisol CT-3441S for travel. Is it worth getting the Feisol head or adding a different one on? I have two Linhof ball heads, one is small and the other is larger.
    I have a small Linhof ballhead that I like (Ballhead 1 with the 49mm base), so I didn't get the Feisol head, but an advantage of the Feisol head is that it's small enough to stay on the tripod with the legs reversed, and the Linhof 1 doesn't quite do that (the knobs get in the way of the legs closing fully), at least not with the 1.5" Kirk QR clamp that I use on it, but maybe it would fit without the clamp (or maybe the smallest Linhof Ballhead 01 closes inside). One thing I didn't care for on the CT-3441S is the telescoping column, because the extra telescoping joint is a source of instability and the camera can unintentionally pan more easily with the additional joint, so I cut it off, keeping just the large tube and epoxying the extra base plate at the open end of the tube, and I can still hang the camera upside down if I want or I can change columns by unscrewing the other end. I also have the short column, but this doesn't allow for any vertical movement, so my modified medium-length solid column suits my needs perfectly.

If the head that you have is too large, what I do is simply remove it when I want to put my tripod in a suitcase with the legs reversed for travel, and leave it attached when I'm out photographing, in which case I'll want the legs in the non-reversed position anyway, with the tripod on a strap or strapped to my bag. With the legs reversed, the tripod folds to 19", and with the legs not reversed and my Linhof ballhead attached, it's 23", which is still pretty small.

Thank you David, the larger Linhof ball head that is the two inch base diameter model. The smaller one is a straight, non tapered, model and is definitely a light weight head. Do you used your lightweight 8x10 on that tripod? Gowland I believe if I remember correctly. Lastly, I am curious about carryon or check in with that tripod model. I have always put tripods in my checked luggage. With the Feisol costing around half a grand it becomes more of a value decision. My luggage is TravelPro, the larger one has a diagonal of 22" and the smaller has a diagonal that is 17+". Actually both meet carry on requirements. On my last trip overseas I bought a Slik Sprint Pro II which came with a SNH-100DQ ball head and integral QR. The camera I used with it is the Fujinon GA645Zi. That worked very well. With the head off the tripod is 16 1/4" in length. It has four sections but the flip levers make it quick. Anything larger than medium format would be risky. The center column is 14" I use it at 6" for a good height.

I've used the 8x10" Gowland on that tripod with lenses 12" and shorter, a 12" rail, and a standard Acratech ballhead, which is bigger than the Linhof Ballhead 1.

I've checked that tripod and I've been able to carry it on, but you never know with different airports.

Try a Saltzman.