Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero Ektar Speed Graphic Project

Jeffery Dale Welker

Aero Ektar Speed Graphic Project

I recently had the pleasure of viewing some wonderful b&w prints that I was told were made with an "Aero Ektar Speed Graphic" 4x5 camera. I truly loved the unique qualities of these images and have decided to pursue creating this camera/lens arrangement. I'm in no rush and enjoy these types of projects. I want to do things right and need help determining which components are best for this purpose and how to assemble these parts into a properly functioning camera. I am neither a Speed Graphic nor Aero Ektar expert, so I'm looking for guidance from the fine folks on the forum. Some of the initial questions that have come to my mind are:

1. What model Speed Graphic works best for this arrangement?

2. What make/model Aero Ektar lens is preferred?

3. What modifications to the Speed Graphic and/or Aero Ektar are needed?

4. Are there any special resources or experts that I should involve with this project?

5. Are there resources that restore/refurbish Speed Graphic's and/or Aero Ektar's?

I'd also like to weave some personal "mojo" into this project. My father served in the USAF from the end of WWII through the late 1960's. He was over the photo department in his squadron and often used a Speed Graphic and numerous "K" type aerial cameras. I was born in 1955 and spent much of my youth with him on base and saw him using these types of cameras; however, I was too young to understand what I was looking at. He taught me all I know about photography. Accordingly, I'd like the Speed Graphic (model?) to be a 1955 vintage. I'd like the Aero Ektar lens to be one that could have been in the type of "K" cameras he used during his career. I want both the Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar to be in excellent condition; however, I'm not sure how to judge these matters - other than the obvious.

Thanks in advance for those that can offer some helpful advise and recommendations.

Re: Aero Ektar Speed Graphic Project

1. Any 4x5 Speed Graphic model will work, I believe, provided the focal plane shutter is functioning. The later (Pacemaker) models offer front tilt which some people find desirable.

2. I've owned four 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektars from 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945 (yellow dot) and all were indistinguishable in terms of optical quality. The only other model that will fit on a Speed Graphic is the 6" version, but this is far less common. The others are too large to fit.

3. The only modification that might be necessary is slightly filing out the light trap baffle on the front standard. The rear of the lens barrel is a tight squeeze and occasionally you need to make a little more room for it.

4. Check out Jo Lommen's site if you haven't already.

5. Some forums members do this as a hobby. Perhaps one of them will speak up.

Good luck with your project!

Jonathan
    Last edited by jcoldslabs; 4-Mar-2014 at 23:34. Reason: Added info.

As Jonathan said. 100% correct. Also, check out the Aero-Ektar group on Facebook.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Definitely get on the "Dancing With Speeds" group on Facebook.

I believe almost all 7in F2.5 AEs were made for the K-24 cameras. I pulled my current main model from a mint K-24. The latest SG is the "Pacemaker Speed Graphic". Be sure to get one with a Graflok back and a Kalart (side mount) rangefinder, if you want to shoot it handheld. The top mount rangefinders require a special build CAM whereas the Kalarts can be calibrated yourself (check JoLo's website for details).

It's definitely a fun system to have, and I use it all the time

You don't need to get everything from JoLo, but I've found his lens hood and lens board to be fantastic. Yours truly designed a light-weight filter adapter for the AE that is much cheaper than JoLo's and does the job just as well; hit me up if you're interested, or DIY: https://www.shapeways.com/model/8922...&materialId=25

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    1. Any 4x5 Speed Graphic model will work, I believe, provided the focal plane shutter is functioning. The later (Pacemaker) models offer front tilt which some people find desirable.

2. I've owned four 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektars from 1942, 1943, 1944 and 1945 (yellow dot) and all were indistinguishable in terms of optical quality. The only other model that will fit on a Speed Graphic is the 6" version, but this is far less common. The others are too large to fit.

3. The only modification that might be necessary is slightly filing out the light trap baffle on the front standard. The rear of the lens barrel is a tight squeeze and occasionally you need to make a little more room for it.

4. Check out Jo Lommen's site if you haven't already.

5. Some forums members do this as a hobby. Perhaps one of them will speak up.

Good luck with your project!

Jonathan
    Thanks Jonathan for your comments and recommendations. I've taken a quick peak at Jo Lommen's site and it appears to be a wonderful resource. Have you acquired/used Messrs. Lommen's products for the 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektar? If yes, what has been your experience?

Since you've owned several Aero Ektar's, any suggestions on good places to find good ones for sale?

Again, thank you.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    As Jonathan said. 100% correct. Also, check out the Aero-Ektar group on Facebook.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co
    Thanks Tim, I've joined the Aero-Ektar FB group and it seems to be a great resource. Much appreciated sir.

Jeff,

I'm perfectly happy with the products from Lommen's site. I mounted my 178mm f2.5 Aero on a TMRF Speed from 1951 without any issues using his lensboard package. I also purchased the hood and it was all a perfect fit. I didn't have to file the lens board frame, just a one time tight squeeze.

YMMV.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    Definitely get on the "Dancing With Speeds" group on Facebook.

I believe almost all 7in F2.5 AEs were made for the K-24 cameras. I pulled my current main model from a mint K-24. The latest SG is the "Pacemaker Speed Graphic". Be sure to get one with a Graflok back and a Kalart (side mount) rangefinder, if you want to shoot it handheld. The top mount rangefinders require a special build CAM whereas the Kalarts can be calibrated yourself (check JoLo's website for details).

It's definitely a fun system to have, and I use it all the time

You don't need to get everything from JoLo, but I've found his lens hood and lens board to be fantastic. Yours truly designed a light-weight filter adapter for the AE that is much cheaper than JoLo's and does the job just as well; hit me up if you're interested, or DIY: https://www.shapeways.com/model/8922...&materialId=25
    Many thanks Rex. Terrific information - just what I was hoping for. I like your filter adapter and I am definitely interested. All I need is a 178mm f/2.5 Aero Ektar and I'm in business

BTW, your Flickr site is amazing!

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Jeff,

I'm perfectly happy with the products from Lommen's site. I mounted my 178mm f2.5 Aero on a TMRF Speed from 1951 without any issues using his lensboard package. I also purchased the hood and it was all a perfect fit. I didn't have to file the lens board frame, just a one time tight squeeze.

YMMV.
    Thanks Rudi, your comments are appreciated.

The older Anniversary models can be good too, and preferable depending on your needs. For one, they have more precise shutter speeds, rather than the whole-stop increments on the Pacemaker model. Two, I prefer the shutter release mechanism - it feels more like a standard SLR and has less "pull" than the Pacemaker. My PM cameras always seemed to "hitch" a little bit and caused movement often. However, the Anni model is heavier and a little clunkier.

My preference happens to me my Army Signal Corps. Pacemaker. For some reason it has the older shutter release style from the Anni. While the precise shutter speeds on the Anni are nice, they also take longer to dial in - I'm a quick shooter with handheld work so I don't need that. I'm still trying to get a small 6" AE on to my Speed. It's been problematic. A local machinist is working on it for me but hasn't had the time to sit down with it and get it done. The 7" is easier to work with but is 2x heavier. The 6" is rarer though.

Jonathan is spot-on with his comments above, but personally I had lens boards made up by a local machinist, and also some others made by someone on this forum. In fact, if you need a lens board for a 7" AE for a Anni. model (or pre-Anni) let me know, I have an extra.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome