Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightest and most compact tripod for minimal 4x5 kit

Re: Lightest and most compact tripod for minimal 4x5 kit

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Did two weeks on the Applalachian Trail a year or two later.
    Nice! I'm more of a day hiker but I'm looking around at some simple tents and such. One of my life-goals is to go as far as I am able on the Appalachian. I have been on many parts of it, in local/state parks. I need to get my butt in gear though if I want to do it. My personal best was somewhere between 15 and 20 miles in one day, but with just a plastic-fantastic DSLR and one lens.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Can't beat Feisol for its combination of weight, stability, quality, and price. I have had 3 different sizes and they are all excellent.

If you really want light, the pan-tilt head is a killer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice! I'm more of a day hiker but I'm looking around at some simple tents and such. One of my life-goals is to go as far as I am able on the Appalachian. I have been on many parts of it, in local/state parks. I need to get my butt in gear though if I want to do it. My personal best was somewhere between 15 and 20 miles in one day, but with just a plastic-fantastic DSLR and one lens.
    For lightweight hiking when trees are around, a hammock like the Warbonnet Blackbird is the way to go. Very comfortable sleeping, off the ground, dry, cooler than a tent in the summer, no need for a level tent pad. Just find two trees about 15 feet apart and you are set.

Thanks Jerold. Haven't even begun to think about tents and such but good suggestions, I'll look into that hammock.

OK . . .My backpacking experience is 35-40 years old now so keep that in mind . . .The state of the art cutting edge gear was a Kelty external frame pack and a Svea stove.Goose Down was IT. There was no synthetic "Holofill" or fleece to be had.

One thing I haave done was to use a heavy mil "tube tent" with a nylon string hammock (nad YES you gotta have TREES). Put up the hammock with a tight line over it to support the tube. Its a short duration bivouac set up as the tent will deteriorate with use.

Keeps you off the ground and the pack has to stay outside in its own weather cover and maybe hung to one of the trees.Eliminates the bulk of a sleeping pad. Of course there are other minimalist shelter options.

And now we get back out of The Way-Back Machine...If weight and bulk are serious issues (and it sounds like they are) look at a Gowland Pocket View. It is a small and light weight minimalist 4x4 monorail camera . . .with full movements.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I'm a long way from trying some sort of "ultralight" expedition (I have read some of that thread going on now in another part of the forum). Just looking at some of my gear and thinking "what can I do here to lighten the load?" Hence the CF tripod.

I figure for ultralight my Chamonix, 90mm f/6.8 Angulon, 150mm f/9 G-Claron, and maybe a 210mm f/9 Kowa would come in at about 5 pounds total. A few holders and maybe boxes/changing bag, add another few pounds, and then the tripod. 15lbs maybe? I often hike with a large backpack that weighs up to 40lbs, so I can comfortably spend 20-30lbs for the essential backpacking gear.

But that's all in the future. Small steps. Gotta work towards that goal, but for now, day hikes and 15lbs or less for a full 4x5 kit is my hope, rather than pushing past 30lbs as I do now. Then I'm more mobile and can make more images.

Just booked 4 days in the Smokies for vacationing later this month .

Along with the recommendations already made, check out the Induro CT214. I recently went to these legs along with an Acratech head and couldn't be happier. I'm using it for everything from 35mm through 4x5. If you don't want a ballhead, there are plenty of three way heads available. This is one that is both inexpensive and lightweight. It would be fine for a Chamonix.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ta

Hmmm, is Gitzo heavier than all the others, for some reason? I love the way they figured out how to make it easier to unlock the legs. You only need a very small tripod for a lightweight camera like that...

One tripod lasts for many years...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I'm still looking at several of the models suggested here, and others, and it does seem that the Gitzo models are almost universally heavier and more expensive. Doubt I'm getting one of those.

Actually, I just compared my 2530 (that I use with my Ebony 4x5) with a comparable, 3 section Feisol, and they were almost exactly the same. The Gitzo may be more expensive, but they have the locking/unlocking leg things which now having them, I can't imagine doing without.. They are more expensive, to be sure... I bought mine 10-12 years ago and have been able to amortize the cost.... for a good long while... If you can find a great camera store that has both you can can see whether any of this matters... there's nothing like holding it in your hand.

The only thing I would add is that 3 section tripod legs are much more stable than 4 section... The extra length can be annoying while traveling, but its been worth it to me...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing