Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zone VI, Shen Hao, Tachihara, Chamonix, Oh Brother!

2 Bit Hack

Zone VI, Shen Hao, Tachihara, Chamonix, Oh Brother!

Ok, I have been digging on these cameras for the last two days. I have managed to find at least one of each that are with in the price of what I am willing for fork out. BUT, I have no idea which. I read good and bad about all of them. I lean one way then another. I just don't have the knowledge to make a decision. I like the Shen Hoa TZ 45 for its movements on the front and back and the shiny stuff is nice. I like the idea of the carbon fiber on the Chamonix but am not sure about the durability. It looks great tho! Order time is a detraction. I also have heard about headaches with the front standard when opening. Zone VI Wista, I really like the looks of these but am not sure about the movements. I read someting about them being stiff and not having full movement on the back. The Tach, well they are pricey. Ken Rockwell is high on them. But that does not make the choice any easier.

None of them say anything about closing with the lens still attached.

I am not trying to start a fight here. I would just like to know what you all like and dislike about the ones you are familiar with.

Thanks

Marty

David Schaller

Re: Zone VI, Shen Hao, Tachihara, Chamonix, Oh Brother!

I'm not sure about this, but if I were buying new, I'd probably go for the Shen Hoa. I have had the Tachihara, and while it's light, it was a bit too light for me. I have the Wisner 4x5, and I would rather have a bit more solidity than the lightest camera. So that might translate to the Zone VI, but many people here have been happy with the Shen Hoa.
    Dave

Kevin Kolosky

I have owned and used two Zone VI cameras. They are a good camera. But I like my Sinar P2 alot better even if its heavier, and if I were going to buy a lightweight "field" camera today I'd get a sinar F2. They are readily available and they can be gotten cheap, and you will have all of the movements you ever wanted as well as the ability to use real long lenses later on if you decide you want to do that.

2 Bit Hack

Kevin, I already have a Horsemen 450 and a Calumet CC-401 which I almost never use. That Horseman weighs as much as a horse too. I was hoping for a field camera what would be less daunting when it comes to traveling and setup. I do a lot of nighttime work so easy setup is necessary, particularly when I don't know what I am doing. I am going on the assumption that the field camera will be easier. As for too light, I will just attach some ballist.
    Thanks

Hi David. Yeah, the Shen Hao is leaning the way but that Tach is a mighty find looking camera but as far as I can tell that is all it has above these others. They all seem about the same.

Thanks.

I have a Chamonix F1. I'm not the most experienced on here, but it suits me well so far. No, you can't close it with a lens attached and the front standard is sorta different. But, it didn't take me long to get used to both. It really didn't take me long to get it once I decided.
    I've only had mine since September so I can't answer to longevity, but I believe others are pleased with theirs after more time.

I've owned a ZoneVI/Wista, and it was a nice camera. It is a bit restricted in terms of bellows extension, and lack of provision for a bag bellows for wide lenses. The "real" ZoneVI cameras overcame these limits, at the cost of a little extra weight. Of the others you mention, I would personally go for the Chamonix, which are very nice cameras. I wouldn't worry about the carbon fiber, it is a strong material (used in airplanes, race cars, and racing bicycles, among other applications). The Tachihara is quite similar to the Wista in weight and limitations. I cannot speak to the Shen Hao. I have also owned a Sinar F, which I would recommend in an instant, and my current metal Canham DLC, which I love, but is probably beyond your price range, and I rarely see them on the used market.

2 Bit Hack

That good to know Winger. But as I said it needs to be doable in the dark with flashlight in mouth. I like the F too.

Peter, I have yet to see a Chamonix on the used market. Same with the Shen Hao. I do see Zone VI but most are beyond my range. Same for the Tachihara. I did see a Wista 45 but I am not sure what the differences are with the Zone VI. I have no idea what you mean by "real" Zone Vi. The Tachihara is fading fast and the Shen Hao and Chamonix are neck and nect after the first furlong.

In reality aren't these all modeled after the Calumet Wood Field Camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    ... I do see Zone VI but most are beyond my range. Same for the Tachihara. I did see a Wista 45 but I am not sure what the differences are with the Zone VI. I have no idea what you mean by "real" Zone Vi. The Tachihara is fading fast and the Shen Hao and Chamonix are neck and nect after the first furlong.
    The real Zone VI is the 4th generation buit by ZoneVI with the 22" bellow, 6" longer than the Wisner model, 3000 cameras was produced in Newfane. Some with a bail, some Gold plated.
    First generation 1978-1980 Tachihara, second generation 1980-1985 Wista, 3th generation 1986-1988 Wisner, 5th generation is Zone VI Ultra Light sold by Calumet 2001

What is your budget?
    My opinion on witch one is the best... I have a Zone VI (the real!) in 4x5 (probably for sale soon as I don't really use 4x5 now), a Shen-Hao in 5x7 and a Chamonix in 8x10, all bought used. All theses cameras are excellent, more important is the person behind them!!
    Buy an used one and try it!
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I'll throw in my vote for a Wista 45DX___ (whatever version). They aren't a huge investment when compared to others floating around in the market.

Personally, I'm torn between 4x5 and 8x10. Film cost and development is keeping me away from 8x10. What draws me to it? Well, the ability to make alternative contact prints in that size. I'm not a fan of making digital negatives and printing on transparencies.

2 Bit Hack

Hi Ginette. Hmmmm budget, right. I don't really know at this point. 1 k? Maybe a bit more or a lot less depending on what I find available and on how finacial things go in the next week or so. I am sure you understand.

Dodphotography, I did find a Wista 45 (that is all the model info I got) for what seemed a good price when compared to a Zone Vi or Tachihara. But I don't know how those compare. I am still transitioning to LF. But it has been so many years since I have been in a darkroom it is like starting over. I have yet to sort out a decent darkroom. That is also on the plate. In place of that I have an Epson V700 scanner. I have been going through the 35mm and 120 mm stock trying to at least get them in a digital format for evaluation. Some are 30 years old and I have never seen them. It is the ultimate in procrastination.

Well folks it is still neck and neck between the two front runners with the Zone VI coming on. The Tach is fading fast into that good night. The Wista 45 is a dark horse at the moment.