Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medium wide angle lens for 4x5 Deardorff?

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Re: Medium wide angle lens for 4x5 Deardorff?

The 105mm f8 Fujinon-SW is also very nice (IC of 250mm).

(Re: Format: I use both 5x7" and 13x18cm film and have yet to run into really serious supply problems in either color, or b/w.
    If bothered, cutting down, or buying 8x10" stock already cut to 5x7" is also quite easy.
    My "third way" is often just using a 6x17cm Canham back on my 5x7" camera....I actually love working in that format and there is plenty of 120 about.)
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

The 4 3/8" (111mm) f8 wide field Dagor if you could find a nice one. These are cherished, and enjoy the cherished price when sold. Zeiss made a 10 cm f9 wide field dagor and these are even more cherished. Rarely seen. I had one for many years until the prices got such that I let it get away.

My keeper has been the early 125mm Fuji plasmat single coated. These seem to enjoy 75 degrees or so and I always seem to have enough movement with it.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

OK, if vintage is an option for you (and having a Deardorff may well put you into that corner ), look also into Wide Angle Raptars, such as the 104-108 (focal lengths vary; I have a 103.7mm and a 108mm): Lots of coverage and I sold my WF Dagor after starting to use these. I also had a 108mm f6.5 Cooke Series VIIb, which was equally tiny, but nice, but these are (perhaps even more so than the Dagors) similarly sought after. Wide Field Ektars are ok; tons of stuff in the 90mm group of course....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

There's also the 120mm f8 Super Angulon MC. Huge coverage and an excellent lens. It's a moderate wide-angle for 4x5. The 120mm S.A. also has no problem covering 5x7.

When using 5x7 film, what was your typical width to length ratio of your photos? Did you tend to use the full 5x7 negative, or did you tend to crop one dimension or the other?

I picked up a Fujinon-SW 125mm F8 earlier this year, and it's proved to be a very nice lens. Large coverage(even for 5x7!), but LOADS of room for 4x5"

Using it on my Deardorff 4x5 Special has proven to be 1. Successful and 2. Enjoyable. It fit the "void" I was feeling between my Nikkor 90mm and my Fuji-A 180mm.

It's wide, but not "too wide". Very nice IMO. And I haven't felt the need for a center filter when shooting transparency film(5x7) even.

There's qute a few coming out of Japan, I got mine in near NIB condition w/ a Technika board for $275 shipped. I can't say that wasn't a deal, especially since the results have been nothing short of splendid!

-Dan

What wonderful photographs! Thanks for the link to your website.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I picked up a single coated Super Angulon 121mm f/8 lens in an accurate Compur shutter off Ebay for $180.00. It's in great shape except a previous owner engraved a bunch of numbers in the rear element barrel. It will just cover 8x10 straight on so there is plenty of room for 4x5 and 5x7. It makes a nice moderate wide on 4x5.

I have seen others go for a little over $200.00 on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I picked up a single coated Super Angulon 121mm f/8 lens in an accurate Compur shutter off Ebay for $180.00. It's in great shape except a previous owner engraved a bunch of numbers in the rear element barrel. It will just cover 8x10 straight on so there is plenty of room for 4x5 and 5x7. It makes a nice moderate wide on 4x5.

I have seen others go for a little over $200.00 on Ebay.
    I have the 121 f/8 and love it. Great for outdoor use on 4x5...so much movement

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    I have the 121 f/8 and love it. Great for outdoor use on 4x5...so much movement
    Yeah, John, I picked up the lens because I thought it would make a cheap ultra wide for 8x10. I have yet to use it for 8x10 but love it for 4x5. It's just like using my 250mm lens on 8x10 or my old 35mm lens on my 35mm camera.

George Tatge

Thank you for the compliments, John. Sorry it took me so long to look at the last replies to my query.
    All the best,
    George