Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Grafmatic?

8x10 Grafmatic?

I'm looking to move up from 4x5 to 8x10.

But I almost exclusively use Grafmatic's for shooting as I'm a hiker camper, and I'll be getting a "light weight" (under 10lb) 8x10, and would like to save space and weight, but did they ever make a Grafmatic style 8x10? Or Kinematic (spelling?).

I know many like to push/pull or +/-N systems so might not want a group holder, but I would think one might exist.

I would also CONSIDER a 5x7 system instead if they made a grafmatic for that.

Thanks!

Re: 8x10 Grafmatic?

Graflex did make 5x7 "Bag Mags" A kinda primitive Grafmatic.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Graflex did make 5x7 "Bag Mags" A kinda primitive Grafmatic.
    Yep, they look like this and I have one. Unfortunately I'm not willing to part with it (it "goes with" my 5x7 Graflex Series B camera). The auction site currently has a listing for a "Fairchild Aerotype 5x7 Bag Magazine for Sheet Film - Military - Folmer Graflex" that might work if you can adapt it to a 5x7 reducing back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graflex-Cut-film-mag.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	110825

Thanks guys, I suppose that's really the only option? Any reason one was never made? Is it just what I mentioned about 8x10 shooters adjusting for zones too much? It simply cost/sales numbers?

Bill Kostelec

Since Graflex was the manufacturer and they didn't make an 8X10 Graflex SLR or Graphic, there was no incentive. I suspect the reason there is no 5X7 Grafmatic is that the 5X7 cameras were discontinued before the development of the Grafmatic. The bagmags work very well when the septums are in good condition. I have 2 4X5s for my Graflex.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm looking to move up from 4x5 to 8x10.

But I almost exclusively use Grafmatic's for shooting as I'm a hiker camper, and I'll be getting a "light weight" (under 10lb) 8x10, and would like to save space and weight, but did they ever make a Grafmatic style 8x10? Or Kinematic (spelling?).
    No; for 8x10 you're stuck with film holders, and it's probably a good thing.
    Given the mechanism of a Grafmatic, which can be problematic, I'd think an 8x10 size would be very heavy and very prone to jamming.
    And quite possibly introduce film plane problems.
    Just my own speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    No; for 8x10 you're stuck with film holders, and it's probably a good thing.
    Given the mechanism of a Grafmatic, which can be problematic, I'd think an 8x10 size would be very heavy and very prone to jamming.
    And quite possibly introduce film plane problems.
    Just my own speculation.
    Do you use them yourself? I've never had any issues with mine, jamming or otherwise that wasn't user error, and the only film that's ever fallen out was in a fidelity holder. AFAIK the grafmatic holders are supposed to have BETTER film flatness than traditional holders.

Anyway thanks guys.

The bagmag would be for a 5x7 graflex, not any old 5x7 camera as it looks like it is compatible with slotted film holders (which are held in place like a lens board)

An 8x10 grafmatic is a superb idea that would probably be a PITA to fabricate. I'm betting back in the day, 8x10 would have been more for portrait/commerical work where simplicity and ease of loading/unloading is more important than space saving or speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    The bagmag would be for a 5x7 graflex, not any old 5x7 camera as it looks like it is compatible with slotted film holders (which are held in place like a lens board)

An 8x10 grafmatic is a superb idea that would probably be a PITA to fabricate. I'm betting back in the day, 8x10 would have been more for portrait/commerical work where simplicity and ease of loading/unloading is more important than space saving or speed.
    Good point, but I bet AA would have re-designed the zone system just to use them on his trips! Haha

Maybe not, he probably used mules...

I think Grafmatics & Bag-Mags were intended for cameras with viewfinders (either rangefinders or slr's ) That way they are mounted to the camera, and left there until time to install the next mag.
    Most of my problems with Grafmatic's (which I love) are my error, like exposing film by removing it from the camera to use the gg prior to advancing to the next sheet.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org