Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCANBACK: DICOMED (early betterlight) or POWERPHASE FX

SCANBACK: DICOMED (early betterlight) or POWERPHASE FX

Hi all,
    Without wanting to start a discussion about the pros and conts of scanbacks, (I read a lot about it already, and decided I want to have a go with it), I wonder if anybodiy can advise me on if I should go for a Powerphase FX or a Dicomed. Important to mention is that, besides shooting stills in studio, I also would like to use the back (if conditions make it possible) for outdoor use in architecture photography.
    The resolution of the Powerphase is superior over the Dicomed, but perhaps there are also some drawbacks on the FX? The Powerphase will cost me about 350$ more than the Dicomed.
    Thank you, looking forward to read your opinions!

Re: SCANBACK: DICOMED (early betterlight) or POWERPHASE FX

Scanback is one of the best film assisting tools ever made

One can do lens evaluation, image circle analysis, movements evaluations, composition assesment, focus evaluation etc etc. No matter what back you'll get - it's priceless tool. Just remember - for final shot - replace it with film holder...

I think all scanning backs are using Kodak linear ccd elements, so raw quality wise pretty much equal. I have couple of Phase one scsi backs.

Field use. Phase one is a bit bulky in the field, besides camera you'll need to haul bag with battery, invertor, powersupply, scsi cable etc etc. I think BetterLight has nice prepackaged box for field use. Also later PhaseOne have firewire interface which requires less bulky cable. Later BetterLight use USB which is also less bulky, but may be slow?

Computer. This part is very messy. Phase one software runs on Windows XP (I do not think it will work with later Windows versions) and you'll need laptop and pcmci Adaptec card and convoluted SCSI adapters. On Mac - you have to find OS9 laptop with SCSI or use USBXchange USC to SCSI convertor plus convoluted SCSI adapters.

IR cut filters. You do not have to use ones from back manufacturer. Schneider and others make IR cut filters. NOTE. IR cut filters work by reflecting IR back, so they need to be placed in front of lens and have no other filters in front.

I am using a much newer Betterlight , but my point is that Mike Colette will still service the Dicomed. I believe Phase no longer services their old scan backs.

+1 on the Dicomed.. Betterlight has had the best support of any company I've dealt with. I've never used a Dicomed.. but I got my Betterlight in 2001, and it's been working without an issue since then

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    +1 on the Dicomed.. Betterlight has had the best support of any company I've dealt with. I've never used a Dicomed.. but I got my Betterlight in 2001, and it's been working without an issue since then
    I know, I already had the pleasure of dealing with Mike, absolutely amazing friendly guy/support, so yeah, that is a plus for betterlight indeed.

I think all scanning backs are using Kodak linear ccd elements, so raw quality wise pretty much equal.
    This confuses me a bit. I thought the resolution quoted by Phase were uniterpolated resolutions:

PowerPhase FX/FX+ 12,600 steps x 10,500 pixels
    PowerPhase 7,000 steps x 7,000 pixels
    PhotoPhase 7,200 steps x 5,000 pixels
    StudioKit 3,600 steps x 2,500 pixels

The Dicomed has a 6,000 x 7,520 pixel, 24-bit RGB image

BUT THE POWERPHASE HAS 12 BIT INFO. DOES THIS EXPLAINS THE HIGHER RES OF THE (PERHAPS) SAME SENSOR?

you'll need laptop and pcmci Adaptec card and convoluted SCSI adapters
    This is a plus for the Powerphase, as it uses much faster Firewire

Quote Originally Posted by artyvisual View Post

BUT THE POWERPHASE HAS 12 BIT INFO. DOES THIS EXPLAINS THE HIGHER RES OF THE (PERHAPS) SAME SENSOR?
    You can google for Kodak tri-linear ccd to find specs, but fact is kodak is not producing them anymore. Scan backs are history. Technologically they are pretty much obsolete. Comparing bits and megapixels makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by artyvisual View Post
    This is a plus for the Powerphase, as it uses much faster Firewire
    Look above "faster" is relative. They all take minutes to scan, if 1 min is faster than 2 - yes faster.

IMHO it will be crazy for amateur photographer to buy brand new scanback in 2014. If you are in digital you can get Sinar P3 or Arca digital ....

To me beauty of scanning back - it has scan area comparable to film size (7x10 cm). It can replace lengtly development process for experiments with film, will let you master view camera and LF lenses.

But if you are in to digital capture - scan back is absolete dinosaur, way bypassed by modern hardware.

Thank you Victoria. As mentioned in my opening post; I don't intend to discuss wether a scanback is still of this era. For me it will do the job.

If I were contemplating purchasing a scan back, today, my first and primary concern would be serviceability. Because the scanning back technology is relatively obsolete and some parts no longer in production, I would want to have some assurance that factory or highly skilled service was available.

It's only going to become more of an issue as time goes on.

I have tons of electronic equipment (costing $$$$$$) that was state of the art when new, but after a few years of use is quickly surpassed by the "latest and greatest". It later winds up in the junk heap because it doesn't pay to get serviced or the manufacturer no longer offers service.
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

First of all Kodak made a number of different tri-linear CCD's.
    I may have the actual names wrong but for all intense purposes the chips were 4K / 6K / 6KHS / 8KHS / 10KHS.

This should explain why you are seeing different resolutions.

Mike designed and built the prototype scanning back that was later sold to Dicomed for production...hence the name.
    Then Mike went on to start Betterlight. When Dicomed failed Mike took on the support for Dicomed on his own initiative.. He is still supporting Dicomed and Betterlight although he is no longer building new units. Around 2006 Mike came out with his USB2 control boxes. Then lighter weight Lit-ion batteries. So the heavier lead acid batteries and slower cumbersome scuzzy connections could burden.

When I tried using the much faster Betterlight Super 6KHS for outdoor architecture photography, I had trouble getting enough quality to satisfy my needs. Especially using slower large format lenses to cover the whole sensor. So it completely depends upon your needs.

Since I still make a living partly with fine art repro, the Betterlight scan back is still #1 for colour accuracy and smoothness of picking up graduated tones and subtleties. I picked up my Betterlight in 2005 & I have not have not shot film since 2007.

Next, each hardware solution has both Pros and Cons. I now use a pano adapter to make landscapes where even stitching with a MFDB would have trouble such as moving sailboats in a race.
    Coupled with the extra sensitivity of the HS back and a pano adapter & using faster 645 lenses and a lighter weight Globus body, a macbook air and loth-ion battery I have managed to keep the rig light weight.
    This works very well for some architecture applications. Even a sunset image.

http://www.akphotos.ca/regatta.shtml

My recommendation is to save some $ and wait for a second hand Super 6KHS rig to come available on Ebay