Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longevity of Metol

Longevity of Metol

I've done a search (in the forums) about "longevity of Metol" and it seems to turn brown when kaput. I have some that is getting rather old in the tooth (>6 months) stored in small brown glass bottle, still white. Three grams added to 20 oz. of distilled water (with a pinch of Sodium Sulfite) turned a dark tea color. Adding in the rest of the sodium sulfite (D76H was the target developer) the resulting liquid turned black.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

_ .. --
    TiM

Re: Longevity of Metol

Wow. That seems strange. I know that I've had mine (dry Metol) for at least five years....I've never seen that happen. Unfortunately, it does sound like your Metol has oxidized.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Wow. That seems strange. I know that I've had mine (dry Metol) for at least five years....I've never seen that happen. Unfortunately, it does sound like your Metol has oxidized.
    Hi Brad,

Many thanks for your response. After reading this I tried the Metol again and it seems to be good. This is really bizarre as earlier it turned very bad.

I did mix in a different container, maybe that was the problem. The first time, it was also a glass container that I thought was clean.

Strange to say the least but your response was a BIG help.

Thanks.

Tim

I have Metol from the early 1960's that's as good as new Metol. It's from a variety of sources and has names like Elon, Planetol etc ass well as Metol. I also have some Phenidone with a 1962 Ilford code, again works as good as fresh Phenidone.

Ian

Mine is from the 90s, and uniformly tan, but works fine.

Well, I recently decided to start mixing my own chemicals and thus bought, amongst other chemicals, a relatively large batch of metol. The plastic bag shows a brown powder. Should I be worried? It won't work? I haven't tried it yet.
    raul

raul, Shoot a test roll and try it. I recommend making D-23, since it's the simplest dev to make with metol i know of, to cut any chance of error, if mixing chemicals for the first time. Get a copy of The Darkroom Cookbook ( by Anchell). Probably avail. through your public library system, or if you can, buy a copy, it's the bible....

Keep it sealed from the open air. Mine came from Artcraft in a small white container with a screw top. It has lasted for several years.

I agree with Ken Lee, keep it sealed. I have a screw top jar from Kodak (Elon) from the late 1960's. It is still potent, I've used it to mix D76 with no problems.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Thanks Ian, Brad, Ken et. al. for the experts help. I tried mixing D76H again using clean beaker / mixing spoon and steam distilled water. The Metol goes into solution fine and the water is clear. As soon as Sodium Sulfite is added it turns to dark Tea. The more SS, the darker. The Metol was stored in very small brown bottles and both react the same. The SS has run out so I'll order fresh chemicals and try this experiment again.

Raul, Like yourself I recently started mixing chemicals and this sort of problem is a first. I'll report back once new chems arrive (withing 1-week)

Thanks again guys, very good to have this expertise handy.

Tim