Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monorail Standard Alignment

Monorail Standard Alignment

I'm not an absolute perfectionist , but when things look out of alignment to me , it bugs me. My Cambo Master PC monorail has little measurement gauges everywhere they need to be so both standards can be set at exact positions or back to zero . But with my camera , when everything is at zero position , things look a little off to me . Then , after a tweak here and a tweak there , it all looks right to me. So , my question is , how important is exact , precise alignment of the two standards? I have a good eye . Sometimes when I argue with my wife about a picture or something else around the house being uneven I'll grab the level and I'm always right.

Re: Monorail Standard Alignment

My Cambo SC is within about a mm on each corner of the lens board. That's close enough for me. Don't use your eye--rack the front and back apart exactly the length of a pencil and then check all the corners against each other that way.

LOL, I argue with levels, I often think they are wrong. My Nikon digicam level is so course, it's worthless.

I often wonder why we have such accurate visual sense of level, better to kill the Wooly Mammoth with spear?

Every time I eyeball something my level always tells me I'm wrong. As a result, I no longer trust my eyeballs.

Jonathan

The levels are missing from my camera. I was going to order them. Maybe I'll just leave them off!

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    The levels are missing from my camera. I was going to order them. Maybe I'll just leave them off!

Don't bother replacing the missing levels. If you try & rely on multiple levels, you will drive yourself crazy. Just use 1 level to measure the various places around the camera. That way it's at least standardized.

I once stupidly dropped my Cambo monorail so for sure it is out of whack. That was 8 years ago, I just keep shooting.

The normal Cambo model is kind of fragile. My first one, 25 years ago or so, sustained a warping injury packed in a trunk for a European trip, but I was able to bend it back because the base for the upright poles is a relatively thin and weak casting. Recently I tried to buy an SCX--one of the beefy ones--and it arrived bent (poorly packed) and I couldn't bend it back with reasonable effort, so I sent it back.

Levels and scales aren't nearly as important as sharp images. A good ground glass with an unobtrusive grid makes levels and scales nearly redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Levels and scales aren't nearly as important as sharp images. A good ground glass with an unobtrusive grid makes levels and scales nearly redundant.
    I guess that is really what it gets down to. What is on the ground glass is what you get.