Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Advanced daylight tank for sheet film - survey

Re: Advanced daylight tank for sheet film - survey

This is definitely a thread i'll watch with interest !

I'd be willing to give it a go for $80 !!

Advanced daylight tank for sheet film - survey

Funny, but after decades of agitation woes I have settled on modest Besler drums for 4x5 and 8x10.

The next step, should I be crazy or brave enough is to try my Big commercial Drum that can do 24 sheets of 4x5 at once. (Ain't ever gonna happen)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Funny, but after decades of agitation woes I have settled on modest Besler drums for 4x5 and 8x10.

The next step, should I be crazy or brave enough is to try my Big commercial Drum that can do 24 sheets of 4x5 at once. (Ain't ever gonna happen)
    What drum does 24X 4X5 ?

This sounds like something I'd go for to. I'm using the Combiplan tanks, which are the best tanks I've used. Hope you can make it reality.
    Keith

This sounds great!

Without naming names, I would suggest not taking the harsh criticism and doubts to heart. They are mostly just scared that you're smarter than them.

That and you'll be competition since one of the posters currently has a kickstarter for their own 8x10 system, ironically one of the ones who said the cost is too great and you shouldn't do it... I would take that as a complement, you've got him scared....

Advanced daylight tank for sheet film - survey

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    What drum does 24X 4X5 ?
    When weather improves I will take it outside to make a picture of it.

Yup, many agendas here. Perfectly normal.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This sounds great!

Without naming names, I would suggest not taking the harsh criticism and doubts to heart. They are mostly just scared that you're smarter than them.

That and you'll be competition since one of the posters currently has a kickstarter for their own 8x10 system, ironically one of the ones who said the cost is too great and you shouldn't do it... I would take that as a complement, you've got him scared....

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    This sounds great!

Thanks Stone, I find naysayers amusing. They simply can't fathom someone coming up with an idea they haven't thought of. I don't worry about that. Honestly I am still designing. I have the basics of the design figured out, but there a few details I still need to work through in the prototype, and considering I have more than a full time job, I am taking my time. Hopefully I'll have a working model in a few months.

Plastic by itself is cheap. Molds for making plastic parts are expensive - very expensive. We have a potential OEM customer for a 1 3/4" high by 19" wide rack mount product. They want a unique front bezel. We're looking at several $100k in up front costs for the tooling to make it. Admittedly it's a complex part because it has to have a molded-in grille for air circulation as well as fit precisely over some LED's and buttons etc. and meet flammability standards and not use environmentally deleterious chemicals, not warp even a little bit, etc etc etc.

For short run parts soft tooling is cheaper than hard tooling so probably good enough for the quantities you'd be looking at.

But I still think you'll be unpleasantly surprised at the cost of the molds.

Ron Miller

Jeff,

I'd certainly be interested in one if it was better than the daylight tank I use now. My current tank takes 30 seconds (if the gods are smiling on me) to unload developer and more on the 45 second times. I have learned to work with its quirks but is by no means great. 3 requirements I would have are a) easy to load 4x5 sheets, b) fast unloading of liquids and my reason for this is that I would like to be able to do divided developing where I need to completely unload liquid in a few seconds not a half a minute, and c) does not use more developer/fixer than my current setup with is around 1100ml - 4 or 6 sheets.

And I agree with the above, ignore the critisizms.

Ron