Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a LF camera as a gift

Looking to buy a LF camera as a gift

Hi guys.

My girlfriend is a fashion photographer and has used a digital camera for the past 5 years. Before that, she would have used a film camera a bit (mostly during college). Every now and then I hear her lament at the limitations of her current digital camera. So, I was thinking of surprising her with a LF camera but no idea as to what I should be looking for (obviously some are good for fashion, others for architecture, etc, but which ones!). Do I purchase off ebay? Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sam.

Re: Looking to buy a LF camera as a gift

Quote Originally Posted by sammy12 View Post
    Hi guys.

My girlfriend is a fashion photographer and has used a digital camera for the past 5 years. Before that, she would have used a film camera a bit (mostly during college). Every now and then I hear her lament at the limitations of her current digital camera. So, I was thinking of surprising her with a LF camera but no idea as to what I should be looking for (obviously some are good for fashion, others for architecture, etc, but which ones!). Do I purchase off ebay? Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sam.
    Lovely idea. How much do you want to spend?

RR

Big Negs Rock!

I'd look into a 6x9 format. Might be a good compromise. What are the limits she has expressed?
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Lovely idea. How much do you want to spend?

RR
    Good question! I'd like to keep it below £400 (for everything that's needed to start shooting straightaway but I don't know if I'm way off the mark there).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    I'd look into a 6x9 format. Might be a good compromise. What are the limits she has expressed?
    Couldn't say for sure but she definitely prefers film! I know that's not much help..

Quote Originally Posted by sammy12 View Post
    Good question! I'd like to keep it below £400 (for everything that's needed to start shooting straightaway but I don't know if I'm way off the mark there).
    Look for an MPP Mk VII outfit, (or a Mk VIII) preferably with a Symmar 150 mm convertible lens and some film holders.

Very versatile, strong, folds away with the lens inside, beautifully engineered and built. There is a Mk VIII wrongly listed as a MK VI on ffordes website for £249 but no lens included. http://ffordes.com/product/13081217101881

If you have time put a search on eBay and wait. A really nice buy would be an ex-Police or ex-Military outfit if in good condition. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPP-MICRO-...item51b7c4e11a

RR

Perhaps she doesn't need movements, which are the hallmark of most LF cameras.

Medium format was the fashion industry go to format, without movements.

Medium format film SLR's are what most fashion shooters used, before digital. Hasselblad, Mamiya RB and other lesser cameras. Hassleblads are still in high demand and an outfit is $1000 and up. Mamiya RB's are just as good, more plentiful and can be had within your price range, in perfect condition. I have 3. They are great sturdy cameras with NOS lenses still coming out of Japan at 10% of their previous cost.

The big advantage shooting 120 roll film with a MF SLR is ease of quick focusing and shooting without delay. A fashion model never stops moving!

If I were you...
    I'd get a Bessa RF 6x9 camera. Not a Bessa I or II, the Bessa RF. It's not LF but it's a fantastic, pocketable camera that doesn't break the bank but makes nice big negatives. Don't forget a handheld meter to go along with it, like a Gossen DigiSix .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VOIG...item51b81a6e96
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-...item540477a8b6

It's all-manual and not for the faint of heart, but easier than LF to an extent, since it shoots easily available roll film.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Another possibility is the Pentax 67 which was a standard in fashion photography for a number of years.

It looks like a 35mm SLR on steroids, is hand-held, and has thru the lens metering and takes 6cmx7cm negs with wonderful detail.

A classic.

I used to own a Mamiya RZ67. Shooting film does give you a different "look" than digital. For something different there is a 180mm soft focus lens available for the RZ and there is also the RB 150mm SF lens that will also work on the RZ.

Seriously, I would recommend a Sinar monorail with the Sinar Shutter. That way she could shoot modern lenses and older lenses like Commercial Ektars in shutter. Then using the Sinar shutter she could shoot old barrel lenses like Petzvals and soft focus lenses. One of the best things about large format is the huge variety of lenses out there that can give you the "look" that you are looking for.