Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod for Trekking

Re: Tripod for Trekking

I'm really torn as well. I have a Gitzo (I really forget the model) but it's pretty crappy. It's pretty light, not carbon light, but the issue is it's extended legs are just bad. It was used for a long time by a 4x5 shooter but I don't trust it. I also don't want to drop 500 bucks if I don't have to

You could go for a slightly smaller lighter tripod if you go headless. It will make everything more steady, and easer to carry.

How about the older, Gitzo 1228 MK2, which can be had for around $250? I took out the center column and put in a Markins plate. I also put a hook under the center, which I hang my bag from, making it a lot more stable. I think my Manfrotto 438 leveling base plate and Manfrotto 410 head weigh more than the tripod, LOL, but I love that head.

Drew Wiley

Your weak link in the system is going to be the ballhead. Cheap and light is a synonym for wobbly in that category. But then, I can't conceive of doing any kind of
    realistic view camera work with a ball head. Per carbon fiber tripods, the two ply ones can support weight fine, but are not as rugged in terms of accidents than
    more expensive 3-ply tubing. This applies even to Gitzo. Feisol tripods are quite good for the money. But I use a four-section Gitzo for airline and long-haul backpacking, no center column, and headless. It fits right into my carry-on.

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry, I have been in another world and missed. I will have a look. My beaten up old macpak has straps on the side so long is good.

David

I think I settled on the feisol recomended and maybe an FLM or acratek leveling base. Already have the doodad on top for the camera and arca plate. There are no carbon fibre tripods without centre column available locally.

Thanks for the advice.
    David

I think that you will like the Feisol. Feisol makes its own leveling bases for their better (milled fittings) tripods. These are of the "video bowl" variety. The minus is that you lose the hook on the underside of the mount, so you would need to devise another solution. I have the 3472, a beast of a tripod, 4#, with ball head, general use for digital SLR (including pack-hiking), and an aluminum 055 Manfrotto with a 410 head (Arca-style adapted) for near-the-car. Ridiculously enough, I seem to have Gear Acquisition Syndrome for support gear, there's a monopod and a short lightweight traveler tripod and a more or less useless tabletop tripod as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripod2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	110641 ......or you can just cowboy up ;-)

Could do.

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

I've had a Benro C2790F for the last two years and it has worked well for me. Not as tall as I would like without the column extended a bit (I'm 6') but the weight is right for hiking.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?