Thread: PLEASE HELP with Enlarger durst modular 70

PLEASE HELP with Enlarger durst modular 70

Hi,

I got a Durst Modular 70 with vario head and after a week for fix the alignment problem now I have a probem with the light!

So I need help before to get crazy and kick out the enlarger!

Ilford warm tone Fb paper with Harman developer (new) 1+9 - 20-25°C, contrast 2, apo rodagon 50 mm close at 5.6, the image start to come out around 20-25 second and the time of develop was 2minutes... but the time of exposure was 2minutes and 45 second, too much!

The lamp is an Alogen Impact 100w 12V EFP.

So why all that time?? On the right side of the enlarger head ther is a knob, is the knob that should be swiched for change the setting among 35mm and the medium format....right?

But if I swich it the light became so weak.

I'm using the right lamp for that enalrger or I'm doing somenting wrong??

Re: PLEASE HEL Pwith Enlarger durst modular 70

What film format?
    How much magnification?
    The larger the print the farther the enlarger head is from the paper and the more exposure you need.

If you are using contrast 2 paper, I presume the negative is properly exposed and developed, with nice clear and dark parts.

Are you sure the lens is at f5.6 and not at a smaller aperture?
    Some times the iris could be stuck. And if the iris is stuck at f16, it would then require a much longer exposure

Have you cleaned the inside of the enlarger?
    I've seen enlargers where the inside is coated with dust. And the dust absorbs a good amount of the light.

What I do not know is how fast or slow the Ilford paper is, and its match to the Harman developer. This could be slow paper and developer.

Re: PLEASE HEL Pwith Enlarger durst modular 70

the format is 35mm and the print was 11x14, the enlarger is clean and the aperture was 5.6, I' m sure about that.
    The paper is a multigrade, anyway the exposure was too long, with another pics the exposure was at 3minutes and 30 seconds, always 35mm 11x14...

Re: PLEASE HELP with Enlarger durst modular 70

Do you have a manual for your enlarger?
    If not you NEED to get one and read it.

If you have a 220v enlarger on 110v mains, that could be the problem.
    What is your mains voltage, 110v or 220v?
    What is the voltage rating of the enlarger, 110v or 220v?
    Is there a voltage selection switch, if so what is it set to?

According to the manual
    On the right side is a knob and lever.
    The knob controls the contrast setting of the head.
    The lever controls filter in or out.
    If you are using graded paper, you should set the head to swing the filters OUT of the way.

I found this in the manual:
    After the fifth lamp replacement the socket connector( 4) should be replaced as well.
    This tells me that there is something that wears on the connector, which may be what is causing the low light level.

Finally, do you have any other paper. If so, try that and see if you get a different result.

Re: PLEASE HELP with Enlarger durst modular 70

Hi,
    I don't know if your problem has already been solved. I am a big fan of this enlarger, and think I know it inside out. Not a large format enlarger though, 6x7 max.
    Anyway, have you found the rotating knob on the LEFT? Other factors have been mentioned, but this one will dim the enlarger so you can work at you favourite diaphragm opening when the head is relatively close to the paper. In other words, check to see that it is in the right position for you.
    I have a printed manual and think I have one as pdf as well. Can't check this right now, but if you need one let me know. I'm new to this forum, but I suppose you can pm me.
    Regards, Bert