Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best B & W film and developer for 4 x 5 newbie? Tank? Tray?

Re: Best B & W film and developer for 4 x 5 newbie? Tank? Tray?

For 4x5 I have setteled on Delta 100 and eventually Xtol 1:1. I have been thru all the variations of X (Tri, Double, etc and all the Ilford HP's). And I ran the gauntlet of developers from the leading commercial to exotic home brews.

I've been satisified with this combination and will wait for a reason to change.

As a beginner, I used a film that I heard about and a developer that was easy to mix and use. I chose D-76 and Fuji Acros. Then I started using TMax 100, or whatever the name is for the specific current stock. Then I started using TXP320 and I like the extra speed and forgiveness.

Oh yeah, and I use trays because I sort of inherited them from a friend of the family and other methods either cost too much for me, or use more chemistry that I can afford.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Paterson Orbital and D-23 or Rodinal, because I am cheap. For film I use the cheapest I can get, Ilford FP4 in bulk in the US or Shagghai if I can get it in China, 'cause I'm cheap...

PS: I just noticed the spelling error, but decided not to change it 'cause I kind of like it.

I would buy a Jobo tank with a 2509n reel for 4x5 film sheets and inversion agitation.
    This will more like what you were used to when you used Paterson tanks for 35mm films.
    http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...20-multitank-2

You will not go far wrong with films like Tri-X, FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus and a standard developer like ID-11 (D-76). There are also good film developers sold as liquids.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I would buy a Jobo tank with a 2509n reel for 4x5 film sheets and inversion agitation.
    This will more like what you were used to when you used Paterson tanks for 35mm films.
    http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...20-multitank-2

You will not go far wrong with films like Tri-X, FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus and a standard developer like ID-11 (D-76). There are also good film developers sold as liquids.
    Yea but you're wasting a lot of developer if you do that... 1500ml if you do that...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Yea but you're wasting a lot of developer if you do that... 1500ml if you do that...
    It does say 1500ml on the tank, but when I first used it I filled the tank with enough water to cover the 2509 reel and I found that 1200ml was enough.

It does say 1500ml on the tank, but when I first used it I filled the tank with enough water to cover the 2509 reel and I found that 1200ml was enough.
    Still more then 1L

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Still more then 1L
    You can roll the Jobo tank in a sink full of water and use only 270mL, as per Jobo's recommendation.

Nancy, to sart, buy any Kodak or Ilford offering, there is less chance of getting a bad batch of film that way.
    Then buy a normal developer like D-76, HC-110 or the comparable Ilford developers.
    Develop according to manufacturer's recommendation, or try Massive Development Chart: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php
    If you're unhappy with the results, make the necessary changes in exposure and/or development.
    It's a fun process, but it's still a process.

You "only" need 1250ml to fill the multitank 2, but that is because this tank is not designed to be used with inversion processing.
    When used as it was intended, in rotation, it only needs a minimum of 270ml of liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    You "only" need 1250ml to fill the multitank 2, but that is because this tank is not designed to be used with inversion processing.
    When used as it was intended, in rotation, it only needs a minimum of 270ml of liquid.
    That's my point, sure you can roll it on the counter I guess, but for people starting out, who might already have a Paterson (which is a heck of a lot cheaper) a MOD54 is much easier and cheaper by far than a JOBO setup... $75 for a Paterson setup, over $200 for JOBO...