Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mac Pro

New Mac Pro

Does anyone have any thoughts about or experience with the new Mac Pro computer? My current Mac Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth and I am thinking of replacing it. I'm wondering if my current Firewire drives and Nikon Firewire scanner would be compatible with it, also my HP Z3200 printer. My friend had great sorrow getting the HP printer drivers to work with an older Mac Pro. I usually work with a medium format digital back (39 megapixel) equipped Hassy. I know the Mac Pro is super powerful and avant garde but do I need it? Maybe overkill? Might it be better to get a maxed out iMac? Thanks. Don Kellogg

Re: New Mac Pro

I use one at work (it really is a work of art). Biggest problem for you is that it only has USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2 ports.. no Firewire at all. (as far as the z3200 goes.. i have one, and mine works with Maverick with no problems.

TBH,
    after talking with a friends who are more "in the know" about computer tech than I, they stated that unless you're doing hardcore video editing, the last gen mac pro's were even waaaay overkill on most of the specs. Thing is, it seems that most working pro's/dedicated amateurs who also want these are now snapping them up, even as a back-up to keep in the closet.

The iMac's are pretty, but expandable, not easy(if impossible post-factory?). Anyhow, the previous generation Mac Pro's also allow for INTERNAL expansion to a much greater(and IMO, elegant looking) amount than the "trash can" new MP.

Not to mention that you're running TB2 ports on it, and you'll need to buy a fw adapter(~$30 IIRC) for each device you want to hook up via Thunderbolt.

just my 2¢

-Dan

i'm using the new iMac at home, and had the prior gen Mac Pro. Although the iMac isn't expandable, it runs rings around a fully spec'ed mac pro (not the new one) for Photoshop work.

I'd probably agree on the new Pro being a little overkill for just Photoshop work (but it is *very* pretty.. )

My opinion is that buying a computer is not buying a piece of hardware. It's buying a hedge against obsolescence. That is, how long will it take before the computer will feel sluggish to you, like its time to update?

For me its about three years, and that's about now... It's time to get a new Mac pro. I'm waiting another couple of months.. but I like the idea of the hard drives going very fast. Both the internal SSD and the Thunderbolt.

It's true that few apps can take advantage of all those cores. However, they will in time. Not all of them, but Adobe usually comes along eventually. You can add a ton of RAM in there... and a great video card. The low end model should suffice for most folks... I was originally not sure about it but having reviewed the specs and the reviews, I'm surprised at how good it is.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

It was also surprising that a number of the 'take-it-apart' sites tried to spec a similar PC, and found they couldn't do it for much less than the Mac.

http://bgr.com/2013/12/26/mac-pro-windows-diy-cost/

(disclaimer: I'm a software engineer working on iOS and Mac OS X at Apple ...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    My opinion is that buying a computer is not buying a piece of hardware. It's buying a hedge against obsolescence. That is, how long will it take before the computer will feel sluggish to you, like its time to update?

For me its about three years, and that's about now... It's time to get a new Mac pro. I'm waiting another couple of months.. but I like the idea of the hard drives going very fast. Both the internal SSD and the Thunderbolt.

It's true that few apps can take advantage of all those cores. However, they will in time. Not all of them, but Adobe usually comes along eventually. You can add a ton of RAM in there... and a great video card. The low end model should suffice for most folks... I was originally not sure about it but having reviewed the specs and the reviews, I'm surprised at how good it is.

Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    I'd probably agree on the new Pro being a little overkill for just Photoshop work (but it is *very* pretty.. )
    Being one that has used a Mac since 1985, I thought I'd never read of one, "being a little overkill for just Photoshop". Now that I am retired, I've fallen behind in Photoshop's updates, but has not Adobe moved a number of Photoshop features to the GPU, and if it has, do they use the new Pro's GPUs?

I am in agreement, my Mac Pro is showing some signs that I am not liking, it is time for a new one, and refurb the old one and use it elsewhere in the lab.

I have gotten four trouble free years out of this unit and I love it.

Like many I have the new Imac at home for my wife and I to use and I really like it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post

Lenny

Preston Birdwell

Jac, here's an article from the folks at Puget Systems regarding CS6 GPU Acceleration.

Adobe-Photoshop-CS6-GPU-Acceleration

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Thank you for that, Preston.
    --
    Jac