Were you on the Shafer Trail by any chance? From the Youtube videos it's pretty hairy.
Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
Ron, if that was me, I'd spend most of the time in Capitol Reef. That might have to do with the fact that I've seen Arches and Canyonlands. The latter two are easily accessible and more people flock to them. I lacked the exploration time for the CF.

Not sure if anyone here had this type of raw experience, but one of the roads in Canyonlands that hugged this steep cliff was incredibly slick. It was after sizable rain and the road felt like butter (no asphalt). Going up or down was equally bad and there were no guardrails or even larger stones to prevent one from rolling 500' down. I was driving v. slow and not making any sudden moves....and I was hugging the cliff's side pretty much. At one point I stopped and my hatchback slowly slid sideways (with the slope of the road) and touching the wall of the cliff. I got out of there in one piece, but little shaken up by all of this. The hatchback had a minor side dent as a result of this. Not trying to put any fear into anyone....just hoping that road has been improved.

Les