Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Calumet C-1 improvement

Re: Calumet C-1 improvement

Use Gixen. It's simple, just decide how much it is worth to you, set your snipe and forget about it. Ken Rockwell has good advice on this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    There was a really nice one on ebay a short time ago. I bid on it but missed out on the last five second ebay madness .

I'm thinking about chopping off 8-10 inches of the focus track, and having a shorter, more flexible bellows capable of using movement with short lenses installed... the modified focus track would be capable of 20-22 inches of extension - plenty for use with a 300mm. Anyone done this, or something similar? I'd consider a different camera, but not sure there are any that are as bombproof as the c1. I shoot lots of long exposures, and the standards just don't move - even in a strong breeze.

Someone here recently posted either a FS or pic of a wide angle C1 conversion. It may have been Kirk Gittings. I may be mistaken on that.

Do a search first.

Quote Originally Posted by cdavis324 View Post
    I'm thinking about chopping off 8-10 inches of the focus track, and having a shorter, more flexible bellows capable of using movement with short lenses installed... the modified focus track would be capable of 20-22 inches of extension - plenty for use with a 300mm. Anyone done this, or something similar? I'd consider a different camera, but not sure there are any that are as bombproof as the c1. I shoot lots of long exposures, and the standards just don't move - even in a strong breeze.

How about building a sturdy "L" clamp (or finding one in a hardware store) to turn the camera on its side to get the rail out of your way for wide angle shots? What modest tilts you may need with wide angle lenses are easily accommodated and you preserve the flexibility for future longer visual possibilities. The on camera bellows are designed for medium to longer view objectives and bag bellows may be possible, but will add costs. Plus you will be preserving camera value in not having to find a similarly minded photographer should you want to sell it. The position of the clamps for the secondary rail and the supporting members do not appear to me to facilitate an easy whack of the end and proceed process. My C1 is not used as a wide angle camera but it rocks in medium and longer lens applications as it was designed. My Canham woodie with bag bellows is my wide angle set up.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 3-Feb-2014 at 11:34. Reason: typo

It is an interesting idea. I think it would be an amazing wide angle 8x10. If I decided to build a wide angle C1 there would be no limits to what I would do. I built custom , hard core , Harley Davidson choppers for years . I fabricated everything . There is nothing like the satisfaction you get when you transform a stock piece of equipment into a unique , custom design all your own . The C1 is a perfect camera for a custom project. When I build a chopper I start with a basic idea of where I'm going with the project but along the way the ideas just start coming to me and the creative juices just start flowing. The same thing happens to me with cameras. Take my CC 402 viewer idea for example. When I walked into the hardware store I had an idea but no real solid design plans. It all came to me when the various parts were in front of me in the trays. I say go for it and build that Wide angle C1 . There was an article in View Camera magazine about a guy that modified and rebuilt Burke & James flat bed cameras . I was blown away at how the guy transformed those basic , bland , battleship grey cameras into beautiful and improved works of art . Your ideas sound great . Go for it .

Thanks, Randy... I did a search, but haven't been able to find what you're talking about - I'll keep looking. It'd be interesting to see how that camera was modified.

Michael, I agree that it may not be ideal, but think there is a way to have it done - and then I'll have the sturdiest w/a 8x10 camera around! And my c1 is pretty well worn, so I'm not really concerned about preserving the value - in fact I think a modification might raise the value...

loujon

Hey John Your mail box is full. So either call me tomorrow or clear some room so I can PM.