Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging Easel what is the best

Re: Enlarging Easel what is the best

Quote Originally Posted by alavergh View Post
    Attachment 109385Attachment 109386

Edit, actually, I think it's 14x17 max. That's probably why the model is "DX1417."
    I use the same one, you can still buy it new. Yes, it can do 14x17 with a narrow border if you lift up the blades and use the fixed border. Or you can print smaller sizes up to 11x14 (minus an eighth of an inch) on 14x17 paper. It is a good solid easel for sure. I just wish there was a larger one available, I think that is the biggest model. 16x20 would be nice.

I use vacuum easels. I'm very happy with them. No more troubles with curling paper, adjustment is done with magnetic borders.

Drew Wiley

I have vac easels with Saunders pro masking blades built onto them. Big vac easels too, with precision blades, but I had to make all that kind of thing myself.
    The Saunders system only went up to 20x24. My favorite vac easel for 30x40 work was cannibalized from a monstrous old process camera and is wonderfully built,
    complete with retractable registration pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Whichever bladed easel you choose, don’t scrimp! You might spend into the hundreds of dollars, but investing in a superior darkroom easel like investing in a superior tripod – the results convince you not to feel so bad about spending a lot.

Saunders, for example, made no better 4-bladed easels than their VT2000 (16x20 easel – w/ four guide slots for 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 paper) and VT1400 (11x14 easel – w/ three guide slots for 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14 paper).

I don't think they're made anymore, so you may have to search the used market, but they appear often enough.

I have the VT1400 – it’s the first thing I’d try to save in a house fire. Forget the negatives. Forget the cameras & lenses. Forget the pets. Come to think of it, even if you tossed it out the top-floor window, you might damage the sidewalk – but not this tank-tough, high-precision easel.

-----
    BTW, one should not confuse the Saunders high-end “VT” models with their “Slimtrack” or “Universal” models – which are capable 4-bladed easels too, even if not built to the same standards.
    I wouldn't go nearly so far as to say it's the first thing I'd save, but I too have a VT1400 and it's the best easel I've ever seen or used. I'd love to have a 16x20 version but when they do come up they are pricey. Well so are the 11x14s but the 16x20s more so.

Why use bladed easels? Non standard sized and/or shaped prints and crops are big reasons. You can crop with a paper cutter but not if you want borders.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I like peed easels for sizes up to 8x10, after that the Saunders VT's are great.
    Who do you get to pee on them? Just what qualities does that confer? Is that extra? If good for 8x10, why not larger? Enquiring minds want to know.

Speedy people.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Who do you get to pee on them? Just what qualities does that confer? Is that extra? If good for 8x10, why not larger? Enquiring minds want to know.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Maybe the same people who pee on the Toyo holders pee on the easels.

Thomas

Speed easels for me. They solve the curly paper problem for me.

Anybody care to comment on 4 blade easels currently available new thru usual source of equipment such as Freestyle or B and H--LPL, Beseler, Kaiser?

Thanks
    ken

I don't know about "best" but this is the one I use the most. The fancy ones are leaning against a wall serving as tripping hazards.

http://www.adorama.com/DKEB1620.html
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain