Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Transfer Prints

Re: Carbon Transfer Prints

Wonderful image, Sandy. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Ari,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Carbon is a blessing and an affliction, but it really helps to start with an image that has the possibility of being a good carbon print. Many images do not for one reason or another, though explaining why would be a very long story. Digital imaging, where I can explore the possibilities of a given image by looking at the range of tonal ranges that best work, has been been very useful in my work. It might have taken me five or six carbon prints to arrive at the best combination of time and contrast for this image had I gone directly from the monitor to the carbon print, but I made this particular image first as a K7 Piezography test print print to serve as an intermediary between the image on the monitor and the final carbon print. The concept here is to have calibration between monitor>K7 Piezography print >carbon transfer print.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Recently I have been doing a lot of carbon printing from original image capture that was either digital or medium format. Want to share a few of those with you in this thread, and am interested in seeing other carbon prints that began as other than LF film.

The first image is 16"X23" in size and is on a fixed out silver paper, KC surface. I call it Galician Angel. Original capture was with digital capture in a cemetery on the coast in Galicia, Spain. The digital negative was printed on an Epson 7800 with my own QTR profile.

Sandy
    Damnation that is a fine image.........
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010228.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	109107
    If only it was easy as it looks. New water, new place, new disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    If only it was easy as it looks. New water, new place, new disaster.
    David,

Disasters like this present great opportunities for learning. With carbon, as with many hand coated printing processes, one must learn from mistakes in order to move ahead. The more mistakes you make, the more you can learn!! If any given procedure fails more than twice in a row there is most likely a conceptual flaw. Take a deep breath, apply your problem solving skills, and try again. And thank your lucky stars that you have so many opportunities.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Recently I have been doing a lot of carbon printing from original image capture that was either digital or medium format. Want to share a few of those with you in this thread, and am interested in seeing other carbon prints that began as other than LF film.

The first image is 16"X23" in size and is on a fixed out silver paper, KC surface. I call it Galician Angel. Original capture was with digital capture in a cemetery on the coast in Galicia, Spain. The digital negative was printed on an Epson 7800 with my own QTR profile.

Sandy
    Sandy, just absolutely amazing tones.

Why hasn't Jim posted yet?

My intention was to post several images in this thread of recent work but the reception to the first one was so nice I fear another one will be downhill. But, the only way forward is ahead so here is another one, with a somewhat less ethereal subject.

Carbon transfer print 17" X 23" in size from a digital negative. Original was digital capture, digital negative printed with Epson 7800. Called Cathedral Rock.

BTW, the tones in the sky in this image, and in the one of the angel, are in the scene as exposed, i.e. no double exposure or combining images involved.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CathedralRock.jpg  

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Stone, Sandy started this post for medium format and digital hybrid work flow image making. Digital negatives and such. I have not done this yet. I only use large format negatives and make my carbon prints from those negatives so it is not appropriate for me to post anything here.

I like this one better than the first, it's spectacular! My compliments Sandy.

My intention was to post several images in this thread of recent work but the reception to the first one was so nice I fear another one will be downhill. But, the only way forward is ahead so here is another one, with a somewhat less ethereal subject.

Carbon transfer print 17" X 23" in size from a digital negative. Original was digital capture, digital negative printed with Epson 7800. Called Cathedral Rock.

BTW, the tones in the sky in this image, and in the one of the angel, are in the scene as exposed, i.e. no double exposure or combining images involved.

Sandy
    Yikes, Sandy! You're making the rest of us look bad.
    Beautiful, gorgeous image.