Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Transfer Prints

Re: Carbon Transfer Prints

That all sounds wonderful, Bob. Best of luck with the gallery!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

That is great news. What is your estimated opening date?

/gth

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I am in the midst of preparing my new long term shop, which will have The Dylan Ellis Gallery at the front end. It has been a 30 year dream of mine and it looks like it is shaping up nicely for the fall.

The Gallery will represent Sandy and others who's work is in archival processes and that exhibit aesthetic properties valued by print collectors. My gallery will only represent photographic artists who can generate great prints. Part of what Sandy is doing is preparing a small edition of 15 - 20 collector prints that we will represent and sell.
    We plan to exhibit his work in our first year crop of photographers.
    When Sandy's show opens he will be here of course and maybe we can convince him to do a master class. The old coot is getting a bit demented so I want to work his sorry ass while he still has his MO JO.

I have been a big fan of Sandy's work now for over 8 years and am lucky enough to have won a lovely print at an event Steve Sherman organized in a benefit for Cancer .
    As well I have seen his work many times and have had the chance to watch him work and this series of prints he is making right now should be IMHO some of the nicest prints one will ever see .

Peter you could do no wrong by putting aside some time to come to Toronto , while he is here.

How much would a print like Sandy's "Lost Car" sell for, if I may be so crass?

I am in the midst of preparing my new long term shop, which will have The Dylan Ellis Gallery at the front end. It has been a 30 year dream of mine and it looks like it is shaping up nicely for the fall.

The Gallery will represent Sandy and others who's work is in archival processes and that exhibit aesthetic properties valued by print collectors. My gallery will only represent photographic artists who can generate great prints. Part of what Sandy is doing is preparing a small edition of 15 - 20 collector prints that we will represent and sell.
    We plan to exhibit his work in our first year crop of photographers.
    When Sandy's show opens he will be here of course and maybe we can convince him to do a master class. The old coot is getting a bit demented so I want to work his sorry ass while he still has his MO JO.

I have been a big fan of Sandy's work now for over 8 years and am lucky enough to have won a lovely print at an event Steve Sherman organized in a benefit for Cancer .
    As well I have seen his work many times and have had the chance to watch him work and this series of prints he is making right now should be IMHO some of the nicest prints one will ever see .

Peter you could do no wrong by putting aside some time to come to Toronto , while he is here.

We are looking for a September opening, latest would be October.

I plan to bring Sandy up in Feb to freeze him .

We are looking for a September opening, latest would be October.

I plan to bring Sandy up in Feb to freeze him .
    Hah!

Appreciate the kind comments, and questions, about my work.

Regarding the look, my own reaction to the image on the monitor and to the print itself is quite different. Viewing a print on a monitor tends to privilege certain image qualities such as tonal values, graphic disposition and ideatic suggestion. It is on the whole a more cerebral experience. Seeing the print in the flesh encompasses all of the above, but especially with carbon printing it is a more sensual and physical experiences as one is drawn to the surface and textural qualities of the print, some of which are conveyed by image relief. For example, when you look at the image on screen you probably will not see any differentiation in the very deepest shadows. However, in the print itself you can actually see separation into the very deepest shadows because of the ripple effect of relief. This is something I have never observed in prints made with any other type of process, and is thus highly unique to carbon printing.

As for work flow, I attempt to expose and develop/process my negatives and digital files to retain a full range of tones, from the deepest shadows to the highest highlights. Whether I am working with a scan of a negative or digital capture image basic processing is done primarily in Camera Raw in PS. In the ideal world my files would be on the flat side as I find it easier to adjust this type of image with Tone Curve than to get what I want from high contrast files. IR and flat lighting, whether with film or digital, gives a nice template that allows for a lot of creative control.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    How much would a print like Sandy's "Lost Car" sell for, if I may be so crass?
    Nothing crass in asking about price. At least I hope there is not because it is one of the first things on my mind when I contemplate buying a piece of art.

I am not sure at this point about pricing on the large carbon prints, in fact the series is not even complete at this time. The edition size for these large prints will be quite limited, 3-5 prints per image, and they will only be sold through the Dylan Ellis Gallery. However, part of the work flow of making the large ones involves first making a small one of about 5X7" in size, and my intention is to prepare limited editions in the smaller size for sale at a reasonable prince, either through the gallery or through my web site.

I am currently re-structuring my web site to change the nature of print offerings and this information on the limited edition smaller prints should be there in two or three weeks. Or please feel free to contact me directly.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Congrats and good luck to all of you on the East Coast. Nice to see that quality Carbon prints are getting their just due. Be sure to post details as I'd love to see the work if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Congrats and good luck to all of you on the East Coast. Nice to see that quality Carbon prints are getting their just due. Be sure to post details as I'd love to see the work if I can.
    What is this about the East Coast? What did I mess I don't see anything about the East Coast....

Sounds great, Bob.
    Stone, Toronto moved to the east coast. Didn't you hear??