Re: Carbon Transfer Prints

"The Old Pizzeria" - a carbon transfer print

Originally shot with Mamiya 6, 50mm lens on Delta 100
    Scanned and dig neg printed on Pictorico
    Image size - 7" x 14"
    On white-acrylic-coated aluminum sheet

Hi Nana,

Congratulations, nice work. Looks like you are getting control of the carbon process.

However, be careful with carbon images on white acrylic coated aluminum. The "look" is fantastic, but with a sudden change in humidity the relief can just pop off the sheet.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, thanks but I still need a lot more practice.
    Regarding the white acrylic coated aluminum, I remember you writing about that a few years ago.
    However, I wanted a rather white surface to compare with the sized papers I use.
    I size with glyoxal and I think using it lends a rather yellow tint to the images.
    I hate to use my stash of photo paper since they are meant for lith prints. Besides they are not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Hi Nana,

Congratulations, nice work. Looks like you are getting control of the carbon process.

However, be careful with carbon images on white acrylic coated aluminum. The "look" is fantastic, but with a sudden change in humidity the relief can just pop off the sheet.

Sandy

That happened to me with heavy weight Yupo. One corner lifted off slightly. Very brittle and snapped off.

Carbon transfer print 16" X 23" in size, on baryta, printed from a digital negative. "Lost Car" from a series of Forgotten Dreams.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LostCar.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Carbon transfer print 16" X 23" in size, on baryta, printed from a digital negative. "Lost Car" from a series of Forgotten Dreams.

Sandy
    Wow just wow...

Sandy
    Really nice.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I doubt that the 750x500 pixel web pict gives justice to this print which must be something else to behold.

I took the liberty of printing it in 8x10 on my crappy Brother all-in-one printer…. even so it looks phenomenally good…… so there are obvious qualities in the photograph that transcends how you print it.

IT would be interesting to know how the original photo was created and how much processing was done to achieve such perfection.

In totality it is hugely inspiring. Will the carbon print be on display?

Thanks!!

Sandy

Yeah, Sandy's image looks good on the screen, but I bet the print is amazing. I wish I could afford a carbon transfer workshop!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I am in the midst of preparing my new long term shop, which will have The Dylan Ellis Gallery at the front end. It has been a 30 year dream of mine and it looks like it is shaping up nicely for the fall.

The Gallery will represent Sandy and others who's work is in archival processes and that exhibit aesthetic properties valued by print collectors. My gallery will only represent photographic artists who can generate great prints. Part of what Sandy is doing is preparing a small edition of 15 - 20 collector prints that we will represent and sell.
    We plan to exhibit his work in our first year crop of photographers.
    When Sandy's show opens he will be here of course and maybe we can convince him to do a master class. The old coot is getting a bit demented so I want to work his sorry ass while he still has his MO JO.

I have been a big fan of Sandy's work now for over 8 years and am lucky enough to have won a lovely print at an event Steve Sherman organized in a benefit for Cancer .
    As well I have seen his work many times and have had the chance to watch him work and this series of prints he is making right now should be IMHO some of the nicest prints one will ever see .

Peter you could do no wrong by putting aside some time to come to Toronto , while he is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Yeah, Sandy's image looks good on the screen, but I bet the print is amazing. I wish I could afford a carbon transfer workshop!