Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going digital!

Going digital!

Rats! I was hoping Paul was going to be getting rid of all his Ebony gear for a song. ;-) Paul, if you're going to be getting ride of any darkroom gear, give me a shout. I'm in the process of planning my own.

Going digital!

I forgot to whom I was replying when I said he could use either Epson black inks or Eboni black inks from MIS. If there's a choice between an Epson ink and an ink labelled "Eboni" how could Paul resist not using the Eboni ink? : -)
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Going digital!

The Epson 2200 printer is the golden standard for inkjets in the size you specified (will print up to 13x19). The next model up (4000) will allow you to make 16x20 prints (or somewhat larger).
    The Epson 4870 is the latest in Epson's very successful flatbed film scanner range and will likely work for 90% of the situations. The next step up will be something like a Microtek 1800F (lower resolution, but better dynamic range).
    Just as important - copy of Photoshop and some training on using it (or a good book like Photoshop Artistry by Barry Haynes). Even the best scanner/printer will not be put to a fraction of its potential without skillful image adjustment and processing.

Note on one of the comments above: Quadtone RIP is NOT freeware. It's shareware. If you want to use it in good conscience, you should pay for your copy and support the author.

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

Going digital!

Thanks for all the repilies so far! Dan, in reply I have always felt that 5x4 is just a bit too small for me to contact print - hence the thoughts re: the digital route! Matthew - are you UK based? Any further thoughts please keep them coming! Thanks

Going digital!

Well, as for me, I welcome digital... and these days spend a good deal of time at the Olympus forum at Dpreview. It seems like such a natural progression... Digital has opened up new doors and the ability to do things that were mere dreams a few years ago. I value it... It's all about progress and being able to accept it... Although slightly off topic, I felt it appropriate to put in my $.02

Going digital!

Ted, I've just purchased a Microtek i900 for scanning 4x5" and I was just wondering what software you are using with yours? My scanner came with Scanwizard Pro and while I found it quite good for chromes, it seems horrible at scanning b&w negs. I've now downloaded Vuescan and tried a few scans with it and I am getting much better results on the b&w negs but I haven't tried it with chromes yet. Regards, Cam Attree