Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking 8x10 and 11x14 enlarger LED head

Lee Smathers

Re: Hacking 8x10 and 11x14 enlarger LED head

I wish they made these in smaller sizes. I haven't figured out how I would rig up a 12x16 adapter for my Zone VI enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    I wish they made these in smaller sizes. I haven't figured out how I would rig up a 12x16 adapter for my Zone VI enlarger.
    I emailed them about shipping to Canada and ask them if custom size can be available.
    I think theses very compact units can be a good choice for entering directly in the condenser slots of the Durst 138 (5x7) and the Durst 184 (8x10).
    Anyone tried the 12x16 in a Durst 184 without removing the condenser housing (size is 14 1/4" x 14 1/4")?
    Can someone who had the 12x16 unit can give me the size of the unit when the external frame is removed? Is the unit operational without the frame? Thanks for the infos.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I'm going to jump into this thread because I just bought Jon Shiu's C1 to make an 8x10 enlarger.

Frankly, depending on what I can fit in my DR, I may just donate it to the school here. But for now, I'll be on the lookout for the materials to build this.

First, I found this with a few minutes of searching on eBay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/221496128725

300mm (11.8") square LED panel, 15w. I'm thinking I could buy a simple 10" square frame at Hobby Lobby, mask out the sides, and have a negative carrier ready to roll. The LED panel should sit right on top. Probably should buy a nicer piece of glass. Luckily those 8x10 x-ray negatives dry flatter than any film I've ever used.

Mounting the camera sideways and making a sliding/adjustable height frame will be harder for me. I have no woodworking tools or ability. But my mom does and makes wood pet toys actually so I might enlist her help...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

You may be quite dissappointed in the performance of that flat panel light from ebay. Most of these use led strips around the perimeter, the light output is very uneven as much as 2 stops across the panel. I haven't tried one yet but suspect the flat stage lights with an added diffuser would be a better choice. I can comment on the flat panel ceiling lights because I replaced the can lights in my closets with them, when I first took them out of the package I saw the possibilities and checked a few with my light meter.
    James

Darn. Well I'm not to worried about this project right now so I'll probably just keep an eye on this thread and for any interesting deals on the better lights.

Something like this might be better than the flat panel linked in post #33. This one is 12000 lumens. Depending on the mathematics used to estimate lumens from halogen lamp watt rating, this panel might have less than 1/2 the baseboard intensity of the Durst 2000W head.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4ZCZ9_AS01.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	121790

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Something like this might be better than the flat panel linked in post #33. This one is 12000 lumens. Depending on the mathematics used to estimate lumens from halogen lamp watt rating, this panel might have less than 1/2 the baseboard intensity of the Durst 2000W head.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4ZCZ9_AS01.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	121790
    Hello IC,

What is the reference of this panel? or Ext / Int sizes?
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I was looking at the design of the color heads out there for 4x5, wouldn't it be easier to hack one or those in half and simply build a bigger diffusion box? That's what I was thinking of doing to make an 8x10 enlarger since I can't find one in CT

Ginett,
    It seems as if in the USA, every parking lot and garage I visit these days is illuminated with similar square or rectangular LED arrays. Of course, when I see them all I can think is how good they would be as 8x10 enlarger light sources. The light in my post #36 is linked here, but a search for LED street lights, LED pole lights, and LED parking garage lights will provide one with even more variety.

http://www.grainger.com/product/ACUITY-LITHONIA-Light-4ZDA3?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4ZCZ9_AS01?$smthumb$

12,000 lumens is what the projector we have in both our auditorium and theatre at the college is rated at. It blasts enough light to project a 50-80 foot wide image through stage lighting, and the backsplash from the white wall is bright enough to see the entire seating space fairly well when no lights are on.

So I think that would be several orders of magnitude too bright. If the measurement for lumens is similar to what I've seen with projectors, anyway.