Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving Down To Death Valley

Re: Driving Down To Death Valley

This has been very helpful to me as well. I am driving from Seattle to Death Valley the 1st week of March and plan to spend 5-7 days in the area. I am really excited about this trip.
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

The best part (petroglyphs) of Titus Canyon can be accessed (by normal car) from the highway near Stovepipe Wells.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Just got back from my DV trip. Cloudless weather, then rain and 100% clouds, then 90F! Rain on the next morning as I awoke in the Alabama Hills, and rain all the way to Yosemite (dry desert gulches filled with water and heavy rain as I entered Yosemite on Friday, 2-28).

Eureka Valley Dunes were nice -- I went in from Big Pine...some of the road in had huge bone-rattling wash-boarding. Had too much air in my tires as I was set up for the highway -- much better after taking out 10 PSI from each tire. I went with the go-slow method instead of very fast to even out the wash boarding. Less dust that way and there was no hurry.

Exposed the eight 11x14 sheets of film I took, and an yet uncounted number of 8x10's...probably a dozen or more holders used.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks for the update on your DV trip, Vaughn!

Bill Kostelec

I am driving down to Death Valley to be there about May 16th (after classes get out). How bad will the heat be then?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by blueribbontea View Post
    I am driving down to Death Valley to be there about May 16th (after classes get out). How bad will the heat be then?

Bill
    In general, expect highs of around 100F (plus or minus 10F). Definitely the start if the 'off-season' time. Lows will be in the low 70's. Actually not much different than the Coulee country just west of you in July.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

100+.

Butitsadryheat .

Bill Kostelec

Done Coulee country in July. Wish we had more flexibility in timing. Thanks for the responses.

Bill

Drew Wiley

As a kid I did all my May hiking in DV by moonlight. Pretty bright with a reasonably full moon reflecting of the clay or salt. Too hot during the day to do much, and
    that was back when I was accustomed to heat. Of course, you could always drive up the Wildrose road for some altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by blueribbontea View Post
    Done Coulee country in July. Wish we had more flexibility in timing. Thanks for the responses.

Bill
    So have I, and during a July heat wave on top of the usual July temps (July 2012). Easily over 105F. After walking around Dry Falls with the 8x10, I was finished by 1pm -- had to head back to the van, rehydrate and head for some shade! At least it was too hot for the rattlesnakes to be out and about!

DV -- Get up early (pre-dawn) and head to a place you'd like to visit/photograph in the early morning light before the heat starts to climb beyond workable. Have a great trip!