Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Winter here and how long do you let the new lens warm up in the shipping box?

Re: Winter here and how long do you let the new lens warm up in the shipping box?

These are the photos taken by the recipient showing the aperture damage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_141809_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	108848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_141837_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	108849

The aperture functioned perfectly when I had the lens.

Re: Winter here and how long do you let the new lens warm up in the shipping box?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    It is not a refund (yet), its a hold. The buyer went straight to the credit card company and had them dispute the original charge with Paypal. Paypal apparently offers no seller protection against chargebacks. The paypal returns process was not used. I really thought after the amount of business I did with paypal and ebay that they would have my back on this.
    Have you contacted paypal?

Inform them specifically, that the buyer did not wish to go through PayPal for a buyer dispute and went right to the credit card companies, this intern will allow them to inform the credit card companies that the buyer isn't following proper procedure, they will most likely deny the chargeback. Just give good communication to paypal even if you have to wait on hold, talk to a person. PayPal is really understanding. I've done this a few times on both sides.

I had over 3 months of stress dealing with EXACTLY this kind of problem. You need to go look it up, because he said the buyer did a CC transaction reversal, which means Paypal is going to get their money from the seller - period. Yes, they are required to send it back, IF they use Paypal's system, which he didn't, apparently.

And it doesn't matter how much you use Paypal, they will still screw you. I was in their "Advantage" program or whatever it was called for having over $50,000 worth of transactions and it didn't mean squat when a buyer pulled this kind of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You really shouldn't talk about things you don't know about.

You're wrong completely about how paypal handles disputes like that.

First as the buyer you have to make a complaint, then ship the item back to the seller with tracking, paypal verifies receipt of the shipped item from the seller before refunding the money.

If the lens weren't sent back, they wouldn't refund the purchase.

They also first ask the seller to work things out privately with the buyer of course.

Either way, if you "get screwed" by paypal, as either a buyer or seller, your most likely not following proper procedure as outlined by paypal and that's your own fault not paypal's.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    These are the photos taken by the recipient showing the aperture damage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_141809_resized.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	108848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140102_141837_resized.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	108849

The aperture functioned perfectly when I had the lens.
    The edge of the lens looks really beat up, was it like that before?

He may be trying to get a free lens.

Many times, what will happen, is that PayPal will refund you the money, but not insist that the seller send back the lens if it is already damaged and will just say "throw it away" but of course the seller will keep it and either fix it or sell it at a discount having made a profit. I've seen that too.

Yes, the rim was damaged and then repaired a professional (as described). The buyer claims the aperture must have been also damaged but the records of the repair show otherwise. I tied to get the lens open to clean the inner elements and this one doesn't even come apart. There is no way the aperture was "shattered" then "glued". Do you see any glue anywhere near the aperture blades? Its still a mystery to me how such damaged could have occurred.

I would estimate the cost of the repair to be ~5% of the selling price of the item.

I did get a lens from some Eastern European country once and it arrived with damage to the aperture blades just like that. I have no idea how. It was also impossible to fix.

I thought that Flutots might be able to repair it.... You don't think so?

I'm no expert but the lens I had was a very rare and enigmatic thing so I think that was the issue.

I have a lens that did that, I can't remember why or what happened to it, but it was random and happened out of no where. That's one of the reasons that modern shutter makers have less blades even though the look isn't as pleasing, the fewer blades cause less problems.

It's POSSIBLE it was just coincidence.

Either way, hope it all works out.