Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good lupe for under 100?

Re: Good lupe for under 100?

The demands for critically evaluating the color and sharpness of a transparency on a light box and the demands for telling if an image is sharply focused on a ground glass differ.

For use on a ground glass, mechanical properties are more important than ultimate sharpness and color correctness. For instance, does the loupe fit into the corners, does it keep your face far enough from the ground glass to minimize fogging in cold weather, does the focusing helical allow good focus on the ground side of the glass, does the base prevent scratching a the screen, which is especially important if you have a plastic screen, is it easy to clean, does it's magnification work well with the granularity of the glass?

I have an expensive Rodenstock loupe. It's terrific for looking at slide on a lightbox, but it isn't any better for ground glass viewing than a number of my other loupes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

The drugstore prescription glasses make me dizzy.

I bought one of those Chinese loupes for about $50usd on eBay. I'm mostly happy with it. I didn't want to wait for something more name brand and just wanted something cut and dry.

I could have sworn that it looked fine as is the first time I used it, but I ended up having to take the rubber extension off (the piece the comes in contact with the glass) in order to view the ground glass in focus.

I'm overall pleased. I have also heard about the reading glass stuff, but haven't tried it.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

I found a Waltex brand linen tester at Maplins in the UK (why is an electronics store carrying this?) for £7.99 (about US$13) - cast alloy, Chinese made, may be available in other stores/chains too. Glass (not plastic) lens, 6x mag, stands 52mm (2") high extended and is 13mm (0.5") thick when folded down.

It comes in a handy little plastic carrying pouch which I expect will last for maybe two trips into the field, but the tester itself is a pretty sturdy little beast. As it weighs 85g / 3oz it isn't going to spend much time on a cord around my neck, but a hip pocket should be fine - and it's rugged enough to survive being sat on. If it works out in the longer term, that's me sorted.

Clip-on/flip-up magnifying glasses with plastic lenses are available here for around £12-15, in a range of magnifications 2x, 3x, 4x. I find clip-ons uncomfortable to use myself, since they make my ordinary spectacles too heavy, but they could work for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollinhofuji View Post
    I recently acquired a used Schneider 4x MC loupe for 40€ (perhaps 55 USD). Works great for me (4x5), although for extra critical focus something with more magnification would be helpful (say 8x or 10x). The good point on those high-end loupes is the big eyepoint, no distortions, no chromatic aberration. I suggest to get one without at ransparent sleeve/base/barrel or however you call this. The advantage is that you can frequently use it without a dark cloth that way. I usually check composition under the cloth, then check focus with the cloth removed - much more convenient and works for not too critical objects.
    +1 . Same here

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Walking by a lapidary shop in Remoulins, France, I saw this loupe in the window, about 8 Euro ($11). I wondered if it would work with my Graflex 45 and it sure does. Fits exactly when the cover is removed. I also bought a smaller one that fits Graflex 23 for less than $10. I dont' know if they are available here but they certainly give a nice viewing area for focus. The large one is called a FD90, from Balloon Brand, from China. Two of the photos are in wrong perspective, They looked good in my photo folder though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_1.jpg   Image_2.jpg   Image_6.jpg  

They look nice, I see eBay has the same 90mm. What size is you smaller one?

Quote Originally Posted by tom thomas View Post
    Walking by a lapidary shop in Remoulins, France, I saw this loupe in the window, about 8 Euro ($11). I wondered if it would work with my Graflex 45 and it sure does. Fits exactly when the cover is removed. I also bought a smaller one that fits Graflex 23 for less than $10. I dont' know if they are available here but they certainly give a nice viewing area for focus. The large one is called a FD90, from Balloon Brand, from China. Two of the photos are in wrong perspective, They looked good in my photo folder though.

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    They look nice, I see eBay has the same 90mm. What size is you smaller one?
    I think it's a 60mm. It's in France and don't remember exactly. Actually a bit more practical as can be moved around the screen to look more in the corners. This 90mm might be better for the 5X7, 8X10 and bigger crowd here.

Thanks, these appear to be linen thread counters, hence the built in scales. They have 2 and 2-1/2" which are 51 and 63mm.

Quote Originally Posted by tom thomas View Post
    I think it's a 60mm. It's in France and don't remember exactly. Actually a bit more practical as can be moved around the screen to look more in the corners. This 90mm might be better for the 5X7, 8X10 and bigger crowd here.

I'm fond of the Mamiya 4X I've been using since I started LF. Excellent optics, excellent quality, and...just all around excellent loupe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loupe-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	111429