Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexico- any issues bringing gear in and out?

Mexico- any issues bringing gear in and out?

I'm considering a trip to Mexico and I was wondering if there are any issues bringing in a good sized case full of camera gear and film. Flight wise it'll all be carry-on, but many years ago I heard horror stories about bringing gear there so I figured I'd see if anyone had more recent experiences.

Thanks.

Re: Mexico- any issues bringing gear in and out?

travel to/in mexico...horror stories? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    travel to/in mexico...horror stories? Really?
    Ha! No kidding. I was thinking the exact same thing as I read this.

Out of Plumb

Quick search found this: http://yucalandia.com/answers-to-com...s-the-article/

"2.Two photographic cameras or video recorders, 12 rolls of film or videocassettes; photographic material; three portable cell phone or other wireless networks; global positioning equipment (GPS); a portatil typewriter; an electronic calendar; a portable computer (laptop), notebook, omnibook or similar items; a copier or portable printer; a portable projector, and their accessories."
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

The gear should be the least of your worries!

Drew Wiley

I had a family member who led small Euro tour groups to various remote places in Mexico for about a decade. There was never a problem with photo gear. But he
    was kidnapped once and held hostage a few weeks until pymt arrived via courier, did have the entire tour group stopped and hustled by local police a few times - and they take only cash, not film, and was dogbitten once and had to quickly return to the states for rabies treatment. Hope this information makes you feel safer
    about your gear.

One thing anyone in the world can do prior to travel is to register your equipment and serial numbers with your customs office. Then you have "official" paperwork proving you crossed any border. The reason you want to do this is some countries will try to say you are bringing a piece of equipment across their border that you bought in a different country therefore you owe a duty or tax.

Terry, I started leaving the US with photographic equipment in 1972. I read the same nonsense you repeated, dutifully registered my camera gear with US Customs, kept this up for years. 30 trips by air out of the country, driving trips to Canada and Mexico. I've never been asked to present the inventory, duly registered, on re-entry. I was once harassed by Canada Customs because I was looked like a bearded hippie freak but they weren't interested in my cameras; I was driving my parents to visit friends of theirs in Toronto and the officers wanted to unwrap their gift packages. I've not been harassed by Mexican Customs, or on entering the Common Market, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Haiti, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay or Peru.

I bought my first set of camera gear in Germany in 1970, declared it on entry on my way home to muster out of the Army. At the time we were told firmly that Nikon gear with logos intact couldn't be brought into the US. This wasn't true for me. All the customs agent said to me was "Welcome home, sir." That's all most of them have said to me.

Thanks for all the replies!! It's appreciated.

Enjoy a margarita for me while you're there !

I remember going to the pyramids just outside of Mexico City. Magical place. Treading where people did hundreds to thousands of years ago put tingles up my spine! I seem to remember that tripods were not allowed there, maybe that's changed, but probably good to check nonetheless.

Have a safe trip!

-Dan