Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

Drew Wiley

Re: what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

Anyone who uses an Ebony camera understands why they are so expensive. A lot goes into them. They make a simplified and less expensive RW field camera in
    8X10 just like in 4x5, but even it has more features than the average field folder, and is reasonably lightweight around 11 lbs. There are quite a few cameras which
    are well made and will do the job. But if one has the budget for Ebony, why not? And in this case, having the lightest wt option was not the stated priority. Not
    everyone is a backpacker (though I am).

Agreed the Ritter is a great lightweight 8x10 - I have one myself - but it's not as "precise" due to the lack of zero position presets, more for backpacking. I also have a Chamonix 4x5 and imagine the 8x10 is a more serious contender as an alternative to an Ebony - much of the design is the same for starters. But if you have the money to get a true work of art then go for the Ebony it will go nicely with the XVa! The min and max bellows extensions on the Ebony seem to be very generous 125-850mm and they weigh between 9-12 lbs depending on the model, pretty decent.

I have too many cameras to list but my Chamonix 8x10 is my favorite. Perfectly made, ultra light, a joy to use.

Michael Alpert

You are not going to find anyone who has both cameras, so opinions need to taken with a grain of salt. I bought a SV810 from Badger in 2002, and I still like it very much. It's a wooden field camera, so it is not as smooth in operation as a metal camera like an Arca-Swiss. But it is solid even when used with a long lens, and it is easy to set up and put away. Another consideration that led me to spend so much money (less than today's price) for the camera is that it is made with titanium metal parts that I am quite sure will outlast me. I feel that this camera will never need to be replaced. With that said, I should add that I've never seen the Lotus camera. It may be as good; it certainly has a good reputation. Anyway, another advantage of the Ebony is that you have a dealer (Badger Graphic Sales) relatively nearby. I recommend Jeff at Badger without reservation.

I have an Ebony RW810 (double extension) and love it. The SV (triple extension) would be the one camera that I would buy in a heartbeat if I could find a "reasonable" one, like that is going to happen. Like Drew and Michael, I think the money is well spent. What basically made the decision for me was the simplicity and the zero precision presets, detents, whatever they are called. I have not been disappointed.

I just bought the ultralight model Ebony SLW8x10..simple and easy to set up..
    I think the titanium is the best reason for the Ebony camera..
    This one is smooth as hell..
    I like my Dorff too...but its heavy...but sweet..

SLW does not have shift function, does it?

Michael Alpert

You will find accurate information about Ebony Cameras on this website:

http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html

Found Ebony. Thanks,

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I had the SV810 for a number of years. I thought it was the nicest camera on the market. After I sold it I bought a Shen-Hao 4x10. It's nice but not in the same class. I also used a Dorff for a number of years, over rated and not in the same class as the Ebony.
    -rob