Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

I try to decide which one 810 camera I should buy. My final list contains two, Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810 and I never use either of them. Ebony SV810 is $6999 plus shipping and Lotus Rapid Field 810 is $6250 that includes everything plus a lens board. Both of them are 5kg that I could manage since I do not plan to put it on my backpack.

Drew Wiley

Re: what is your choice? Ebony SV810 or Lotus Rapid Field 810?

Buy one of each, and whichever one you don't like, give to me! But I think you'll discover the Ebony is generally more available. The titanium hardware on the Ebony
    is absolutely the best for durability, and they machine the wood more precisely than anyone else. But that Lotus is a lovely machine too, and if I had one, would want the original delrin gear track for smoothness, versus the American version with brass, which is not in fact as durable per wear, only with respect to sand or
    grit getting embedded.

Lachlan 717

What lens/lenses do you have to put on them?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Currently I have XVa, apo-symmar 240mm, dagor 300/6.8, dagor 360/7.7, vitax #2, I may try to find a 210mm lens later.

Drew Wiley

Well, these are all mid-range lenses, so either camera will give you plenty of extra bellows room if you need to go longer focal lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, these are all mid-range lenses, so either camera will give you plenty of extra bellows room if you need to go longer focal lengths.
    Not really. XVa is a Triple Convertible Lens that comes with three Focal lengths: 645mm (front cell only), 476mm (back cell only), 311mm (front + back).

You probably have already considered this, but I have to ask:
    Have you considered a brand-new Chamonix, or a *used* Deardorff? Heck, buy a used one, send it to Richard Ritter to get fully refurbished, and the g/g alignment perfected(since decades of film holders going in/out might have loosed up tolerances a bit)... You'll probably save yourself a few grand, at the minimum...

Those would be under $3500 or so(Deardorff+refinishing)? That's a LOT of film to make up the price differential, even at today's market prices.

But it's your money, just tossing out a question...

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    You probably have already considered this, but I have to ask:
    Have you considered a brand-new Chamonix, or a *used* Deardorff? Heck, buy a used one, send it to Richard Ritter to get fully refurbished, and the g/g alignment perfected(since decades of film holders going in/out might have loosed up tolerances a bit)... You'll probably save yourself a few grand, at the minimum...

Those would be under $3500 or so(Deardorff+refinishing)? That's a LOT of film to make up the price differential, even at today's market prices.

+1

you really do not have to buy a brand spanking new one - plenty of used 10x8's around, particularly in the US

regards

andrew

But it's your money, just tossing out a question...

-Dan

Thanks for your input. I sold my E+ Canham traditional 810 before I returned to US and I though it should be quite easy to find a good used one. But I looked around and did not find a good one that I like. I may need more patience.

Heck, buy a Ritter 8x10. Mine is wonderful, and very, very light. About $3,000, if memory serves.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com