Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plaubel 8x10

Re: Plaubel 8x10

Randy, I think It will be much more than 2k, however he has many lenses, film holders(many sheet and two polaroid and polaroid developers), reduction backs to 4x5 and 5x7 and so on included, of course i don't know the details and everything can vary.

My educated guess on the phrase "Shift in height by rack on the ZT version" is it refers to the ZT having geared rise and fall on the standards. Meaning the rise/fall is done by turning a knob which controls the rise by a rack and pinion gear, rather than loosening a lock knob and sliding the front or rear up and down by hand as many view cameras do. Geared movement would be a nice feature, but may not be worth the added weight.

I tried doing Google Translate on the French site I posted the link to. I didn't realize how much Translate struggles with French to English. I've mostly used Translate for German to English and is works pretty well.

You mentioned you are somewhat new to large format. I imagine you are familiar with lens image circles and coverage of the different formats. 8X10 format needs a much bigger image circle than smaller formats. So when looking at the lenses included with this outfit, keep in mind they may or may not all be usable for 8X10. Usually a lens which can cover 8X10 format is worth more than a lens which can only cover 4X5 or 5X7. I don't know if you will be able to look at this outfit and post a list of the lenses included before you buy. Then we can tell you the coverage of the lenses. It seems to me prices on view camera lenses have been falling over the last few years. The seller of this outfit may not know this and have an unrealistic idea of the values of the lenses.

Len

Plaubel 8x10 is rare, even in germany. Prices ( cam only) seem to be nearly 1000.- here.
    Accessories are often available ( Except expensive bellows and rear standards), mostly cheep.
    Like Sinar, you can adapt everything and any format of the Profia system.
    You can buy a Profia 4x5" , nearly 250 to 300 Dollars, and adapt, if your 8x10 is to short.
    For lensboards you have to pay nearly 30 Euro, so maybe around 30 to 40 Dollars.
    If there is something wrong with your 8x10, you will be able to find out - the mechanism is good, and easy to understand.

I use "NT" 4x5" and 5x7", and sometimes both together as one camera; I don't miss any "ZT".

Greetings,
    Ritchie

yes, they certainly are unappreciated

I bought a 4x5/9x12 twelve months ago just to see what it was like, I was really impressed and sold it on to fund something else

..............anyhow a semi-retired professional London based photographer had been trying to sell his 10 x 8 Plaubel, plus 4 x 5 back, two sets of bellows and boards for a couple of years (maybe less), just couldn't attract any interest, I bought the lot for £300. It's been well used but well maintained, pretty heavy of course but very sturdy. I'm very happy and have no doubts at all in endorsing the Plaubel line of Monorails

Inevitably they're overlooked by those who prefer Arca and Sinar but when you look at the price of a used 10 x 8 Sinar in Europe, they can be great value

go and buy it

regards

andrew

I'm going for it! wish me the bests, it's kind of a blind buy but that is what i am good at(thanks to the persian roots), Anyone has heard anything about a zeiss jena digital scanning back? something from like 20 years ago? also i still have the question that how would i be able to differentiate between ZT and NT?

Thanks everyone,
    Arash

It sounds like a really nice kit!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Arash View Post
    I'm going for it! i still have the question that how would i be able to differentiate between ZT and NT?
    You either have to use your hands only, or you have to use knobs, like Len said...