Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No love for Horseman?

Re: No love for Horseman?

Would you share your parts source, I don''t need much, but my HD needs a focus lock lever, it works with the screw snug, but I would like a lever...

And that is all I need for any of my Horseman.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Horseman stuff is great, I see no shortages of parts for those. Esp. Compared to say Arca. You can buy a whole camera, L-series, for $200-300!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Would you share your parts source, I don''t need much, but my HD needs a focus lock lever, it works with the screw snug, but I would like a lever...

And that is all I need for any of my Horseman.
    ____

Part No. ???

Horseman Parts... Are still 'readily' available directly from Komamura Corp. and elsewhere...
    I recently had 'no problem'... Finding a spare Focus Lock Lever (albeit for an 'L' Series Camera).
    --
    Best regards,

-Tim.

_________
    Last edited by Taija71A; 10-Jan-2014 at 07:20.

After graduating from photo school in the early '90's(has it been that long) I was a very busy photo assistant working for the big commercial studios in town. Many used Sinar P2's but maybe just as many used Horseman LX's, I believe the model was. My university had Sinar F1's for rent with a low purchase price at graduation, so I had bought into the Sinar being the best propaganda from the start. Like I said many studios used P2's so everything was pretty familiar right off the bat. At first I wasn't so sure about those using the Horsemans, everyone knew Sinar was the best, right. The more I worked with them the more I realized that they may have been better. I recall them being heavier, not that the F1 and P2 are lightweights, but the Horseman has L standards that are much beefier than the Sinar standards. Several of the studios were known for beer and liquor and we shot huge quantities of 8x10, my sense was that the Horseman required less worry about pushing the rear standard when inserting 8x10 holders, not that we/I really ever had problems with the P2 8x10 doing that, but the Sinar seemed less sure when inserting holders.

I recall that the LX was the top of the line and their were some lesser models, I don't recall the differences at this late date.

The L cameras can be taken apart and laid flat in a Zero Halliburton case(was the rage in the '80's and into the '90's)due to the L standard design.

I remember one studio had an optical bench rail that was one long solid piece of aluminum, it was three or four feet long and was rock solid. I feel the lens shade for the Horseman is superior than the Sinar's bellows clips and filter rod arrangement.

There was an architectural photographer that I worked with briefly that bought into the idea of a heavy camera atop a somewhat lightweight Gitzo. The person figured the heavy camera would push the tripod down and make it more stable. To this day I don't know what to think of this concept. This photographer had traded Sinar equipment in for Horseman cameras just for this.

As great as I think the Horseman L's are, they are really studio cameras due to the weight and the pointy corners from the L standards and rail unless your a commercial photographer with assistants to assist with everything.

All this being said, I use Sinar and always have since I graduated and purchased my first F1 through the university rental purchase program. That's why those programs exist you know, to get you early in your career.

G.A.

A seller in Japan just listed a Horseman LE on eBay for $398 + $90 for shipping, and a Horseman 45FA for $758 + $65 for shipping. I don't know the seller, or anything about Horseman cameras; I just happened to see them while browsing.

@ G.A Thanks for a great post lots of good insight!
    @ Jonathan thanks for the heads up I will check those cameras out!
    PQ
    Pure Quill is an old New England expression meaning “The genuine article...the real thing, authentic, or not phony”

Quote Originally Posted by PureQuill Photo View Post
    @ G.A Thanks for a great post lots of good insight!PQ
    My pleasure.

Good luck.

I own a Horseman 4x5 LE. It was my first LF camera. Very easy to operate & really smooth. For being solid & we'll built, it's still easy to transport & hike with. I paid $450 including shipping for the camera & Schneider 210mm apo lens about 1.5 yrs ago.

PureQuill,

I shoot Sinar but have a L series Horseman because they use the same lens boards. I used it for one project and haven't used it since. They are sturdy but very heavy. PM me if you want to buy one and I'll send you some photos.

-Joshua

I have the Horseman 45FA, which I think is a great field 4x5 camera. It is quick to setup, has precise movements, folds up just as quickly (can fold up with a "normal" lens on), and is very well protected when closed up. The only limitations are max focal length of about 250mm (unless attaching the rear extension bellows), and lack of a rangefinder (so no hand-held shots). All in all though, it is very solid and portable. Here's a shot of mine, with the rear piece for the binocular reflex viewer attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5I45Na5Ja3E43G13L8c6fa8f49ba4b51f181a.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	108129

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I have the Horseman 45FA, which I think is a great field 4x5 camera. It is quick to setup, has precise movements, folds up just as quickly (can fold up with a "normal" lens on), and is very well protected when closed up. The only limitations are max focal length of about 250mm (unless attaching the rear extension bellows), and lack of a rangefinder (so no hand-held shots). All in all though, it is very solid and portable. Here's a shot of mine, with the rear piece for the binocular reflex viewer attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5I45Na5Ja3E43G13L8c6fa8f49ba4b51f181a.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	108129
    I have the Horseman HF the prior model of the FA and I got it with an extension tube on the front including a APO Ronar 300mm and as a rangefinder I'm using the Linhof one, but Horseman had also one in here PGM!
    Its a wonderful camera, for not to big hands in my opinion!

Cheers Armin