Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar F2 rear standard angle of tilt indicator issue

Sinar F2 rear standard angle of tilt indicator issue

problem with sinar f2 which I've only noticed last couple of days which is surprising because I don't use rear movements (yet) so always ensure that my rear standard is levelled. Please see attached my dodgy diagram of issue. The rear standard is in the zeroed/locked position but the angle indicator suggests that there is still 2 degrees of rear tilt. When I tilt the standard so that it is aligned with 0 degrees on the angle indicator the standard is obviously not vertically zero, so the little wedge shaped indicator is somehow out by 2 degrees... strange that I haven'
    t noticed this before... is this a manufacturing flaw (unlikely) or has something happened recently to move this indicator? it seems like it's pretty rigidly fixed to the standard so I don't see how it's happened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lf.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	107574

edit: sorry for the dodgy paint illustration, I should also point out that the indicator is actually 'tilted' 2 degrees on a rotational axis, not moved forward on a horizontal axis like the illustration suggests

Re: Sinar F2 rear standard angle of tilt indicator issue

Same thing on my Sinar (F1) and I just use a small level to get the standards perpendicular and parallel. I doubt whether you and I are the only Sinar owners with this problem. I would be interested to hear if someone knows how to adjust this, or 'zero out' the little indicators though.

Maybe Leigh knows how to fix this and would comment?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SinarSpiritLevel.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	107579 Click on the image for a larger version.

This is on the first page of the Sinar F2 service manual, which is huge (124 pages).
    I suggest downloading a copy. It can be found online for free.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I have the same issue with a Sinar F2 I use. I don't use to rely for critical set up on camera levels or zero detents, that's why I carry a small level to check alignment of standards. But up to know I didn't knew about that service manual!

thanks a bunch leigh. very helpful. I did not receive a manual when I purchased the camera

even after loosening the screws and straightening the indicator/spirit level and then retightening the screws, it seems that the indicator/spirit level still can 'slip' somewhat and become misaligned again almost too easily. seems to be a disappointing flaw in an otherwise very robust and solid camera. but then I suppose the camera isn't really designed to be lugged around a lot...

Leica (who owns Sinar) has very usefull gadget - digital level and range finder (1mm accurate) which is rugged and waterproof. Perfect for focusing also.

Heres amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Geosyste...dp_ob_title_hi

You just hold it by standard and adjust tilt. I use F2 in the field all times. My guess is that it can be utilized for direct scheimpflug calculation...
    Sent from my iPad

there is an iphone app that does the same thing (called Tilt Calculator) but I was having a hard time deciphering it this morning... I think I understand basically how it works but I wasn't sure where or how you input a couple of the values. I was pretty tired when I was reading the how-to and got frustrated and gave up on trying to figure it out...

How does this help focus a LF camera?

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaPerelet View Post
    Leica (who owns Sinar) has very usefull gadget - digital level and range finder (1mm accurate) which is rugged and waterproof. Perfect for focusing also.

Heres amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Geosyste...dp_ob_title_hi

You just hold it by standard and adjust tilt. I use F2 in the field all times. My guess is that it can be utilized for direct scheimpflug calculation...
    Sent from my iPad

yes, I am having trouble finding instructions on how to apply that to a LF camera... could you explain>?