Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wide Angle Lens for round image on 5X7 film

Re: Wide Angle Lens for round image on 5X7 film

After reviewing the options I decided to acquire a 75mm Topcor for the round image on 5X7" film. The 75mm Topcor does exactly what I want, i.e. gives a clean circle on 5X7" film in my holders when the camera is focused at about 4-5 feet (which is as close I a would plan to focus), and the circle is very nice and sharp right to the edges of the image. The 75mm focal length is just a tad longer than what I originally asked about, but this lens focuses nicely on my camera without the use of a recessed bellows, and allows the use of both tilt and shift, and rise and fall, which would not be possible with a focal length of less than 65 mm.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. I have a trip planned soon where I plan to the 75mm Topcor with a Nagaoka 5X7 to do a project in round.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I am surprised at how few options there are for exactly what I need.

1. Image circle of 4 3/4" (121 mm), or just slightly less.
    2. Modern lens with multi coating.
    3. In shutter.
    4. Sharp to the edge of the field.
    5. 45mm to 65mm focal length.

The 53 mm Biogon looks like it would do the job optically, but this is a huge lens, expensive, and not in a shutter! The 47mm Super Angulon MC looks almost perfect, but perhaps a tad too wide! Nothing else in the 45mm to 65mm range, with the caveats above, seems to come close?

Sandy
    Sandy,

A year of two ago I was trying to find a lens that would do exactly what you want. I was limited by my minimum bellows length, so a 47xl would not work. A 58xl with a center filter worked pretty well, though the image circle grew considerably as I focused closer than infinity. Right now what comes to mind is that you could use a lens-hood screwed into the rear element of a lens. You may need to machine the hood to shorten it. I know this isn't what you are asking for, but it's an option that is relatively inexpensive and might work for you. Please let us know where you land.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    Sandy,

A year of two ago I was trying to find a lens that would do exactly what you want. I was limited by my minimum bellows length, so a 47xl would not work. A 58xl with a center filter worked pretty well, though the image circle grew considerably as I focused closer than infinity. Right now what comes to mind is that you could use a lens-hood screwed into the rear element of a lens. You may need to machine the hood to shorten it. I know this isn't what you are asking for, but it's an option that is relatively inexpensive and might work for you. Please let us know where you land.
    Read all posts before you comment, it's already been solved :-p

Michael,

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I already have a 65mm Super Angulon set up so I can screw in filter holders to vignette the image. This works fine, but for reasons of "purism" that may or may not make much sense I would like to get the round image from a lens without having to mechanically vignette it.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    Sandy,

For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy,
    have you tried putting a flat ring of blacked paper right on the glass of the front lens cell group? Alternatively, you could try such a ring on the back of the front cell or the front of the back lens cell. You could be surprised at the effect. I know you want the purist solution but a flat paper ring hidden in the lens could maybe find your mercy too.