Thread: Yosemite Campgronds September

Yosemite Campgronds September

I will be in Yosemite for a week next September and I plan to camp in one of the campgrounds in the valley.

How noisy should I expect them to be at that time of the year?

Last time I was there, in April, Curry village was very rowdy after dark and friends who stayed there didn't get much sleep. (I stayed at the Wawona.)

Yosemite Lodge at the falls might be a quiet option, but I am happy camping and it would save me quite a bit.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Yosemite Campgronds September

September is high tourist season so you better make your reservation well in advance for a campsite. Although I usually camp in Camp 4 (a walk-in across from Yosemite Lodge) I have stayed several times in Pines/North Pines without complaint.

Thomas

Preston Birdwell

I would recommend North Pines or the last loop in Upper Pines. I agree with Thomas in that you should reserve a site as soon as possible.

September in the Valley can be very warm, but the weather can change, so you'll need to be prepared for that. It will be cooler, and less crazy as you get closer to October.

Another option is Tuolumne Meadows. It will certainly be cooler, and nights will be quite chilly. The true upside is that you have the Tuolumne domes country, Tenaya Lake, and easy access to the East Side of the range--Mono Basin, Bridgeport, Bodie, etc..

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Les

If you intend to stay at *particular* campground, I'd suggest you make reservations. Yet, I've camped at Tuolumne M. in July without reservations...it was mostly luck, but I wouldn't count on it. You can also try Taramac Flat (first come first serve) or any camps on Rte 120. You need to realize that Yos hosts the population of a sizable town and there bound to rowdiness or peeps staying up to 3AM & intoxicated. I'm not trying to excuse anyone's rude behavior.....it's just some folks don't know how to behave in soc situation. The valley gets too populated for my taste and I seek spaces away....yes, popularity has its issues.

Les

Valley campgrounds are a crap shoot when it comes to being quiet. It all depends on your neighbors. One of the quietest campgrounds I've camped at is Bridalveil Creek on the S. rim of the valley on Glacier Point road, but IIRC they close 'er down after the first week of Sept.
    But you want to be in the Valley, eh?
    I will say this about Camp 16----Housekeeping on the Merced River---the management is very pro-active about enforcing the 10:00PM quiet time. Hard nosed (but who knows what it will be like next year?) Of course unless you get a river front tent, the atmosphere is akin to DP camp, but I spent all my summers there growing up in the 50's and 60's (back when they had Curry Style tents) so I freely admit to being prejudiced(but it you stay, make reservations early and insist on a river tent!) Hey, it's got real beds, showers and a well stocked market---whats not to like?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks for the info!