Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Tell him it is a nice enlarger but you were hoping to find a more complete setup and offer him $50.
    As he said he will dump it if he can't sell it so he will probably take what money he can get.

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

I'd do what Martin suggested, haggle with the seller, I got my older Omega D2V in pretty good condition for $65,
    lenses, timer and neg carriers were another $150 or so off the 'Bay.

Wow, that is no DV2. It looks like a late model black anodized D5XL with the latest variable condenser head. Adorama sells just the chassis for $1,638.95.

It's a good enlarger, and at $100 is a good price. If you want to convert it to color or variable contrast there are lots of options for Omega enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Those images show an enlarger in fantastic shape. Likely a fine bargain for $100.

I'd learn how to inspect it properly – and if you purchase it, how to disassemble and safely transport that baby. Then you're just a few easy accessories away.

You can visit the following site and do a few searches on the "Ask Harry! Help Forum" here:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com

Harry Taylor is the site owner and a great source for questions.
    Thanks for the great advise & link “To Ask Harry."
    I never would have though about the correct way to move an enlarger .
    Every enlarger I ever used was already “at the lab" when I use it.
    So I never gave any thought to what was involved in getting it there without damage & properly adjusted
    It makes complete sense when I think about it .
    An enlarger is a precision piece of optical laboratory equipment.
    It was not designed to be a mobile device say like a field camera.
    I have to admit I am already bitten by the large format bug again & I haven't even seen the enlarger in person.

I'm in agreement with ic-racer and one look at his darkroom will convince you that he favors the higher end in the equipment spectrum, to say the least!

Also, this is exactly the same 4x5 enlarger I have. I got mine from a liquidator who had just 'liquidated' a large lab. I paid $150 for mine, albeit the fact it had three nice Schneider Companon lenses in the turret. While others are talking about everyone giving away enlargers these days is true, to a point, it's still a little harder to find late, high end models like yours in good (or very good) condition at an easy price.

I would give you my big vote to snap this up as fast as you can, before someone else notices what's on offer from this seller!

One more thing - It looks from the seller's photos like all you may need for this are lenses, negative carriers and a timer (and a set of contrast filters) to get you printing and you should be well on your way to a really nice outfit.

As Cletus said it looks like there are at least 2 lens boards. These will be somewhat lens specific.
    Check here when you get them.
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/LensMountD5.htm

From the photos of the Craigslist ad that Purequill posted, it looks like the prospective enlarger has the three-lens turret installed, which would be another nice selling point I might add.

cowanw, is that what you were talking about in your comment, or maybe I don't understand what you're calling a lens board?

I bought it!
    Had to give the guy $30.
    It’s disassembled in the back of my car.
    As soon as I get help moving it I will post some photos.
    Looks to be in fairly good condition.
    Both springs on the back are both bent in towards the center of the Chassis.
    So I am assuming it will need to be realigned?
    The Condenser lenses all look to be there & in good shape. (Will need a careful & detailed cleaning!)
    The light housing seems to be in good shape. He says the lamp lights but I didn’t test it.
    There are cracks in the power cord insulation so that will need to replaced.
    Has the 3 lens turret & the lens boards!
    Bellows look good.
    A few scratches here & there but overall pretty good condition!
    I even got the baseboard.
    Not bad a enlarger for $30.
    Pretty excited to start restoring it!
    I can’t thank all who posted here enough.
    Happy New Year!