Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

$30 , with I assume when you say lens boards you mean negative carriers, is close to free
    Congrats on you new enlarger.

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    $30 , with I assume when you say lens boards you mean negative carriers, is close to free
    Congrats on you new enlarger.
    No Neg Carriers but 3 lens boards on the turret!

Congrats on your new enlarger Purequill! Once you have it up and running you should be all set and may never need another enlarger.

Keep an eye on Fleebay for negative carriers, you should be able to get a good glass 4x5 carrier for $25-50 if you're patient. With a little gaffers tape, or some black craft paper, you can easily mask the carrier for all formats.

Lenses are easy too. I think your turret is threaded for 39mm lenses, which are fairly standard and should screw right in. I believe there are a few for sale now, here in the Forum if you search.

Be careful putting it back together as the rollers/wheels that ride on the column have a tendency to move inwards if the head has been pulled away from the column during transport.

They should ride on the column just like a train wheel fits on the track.
    So, just check them out after reassembly or if the head does not move easily, there are 2 sets at the rear and it is obvious how they should fit the column when you look.

Also, if you are planning on using a 50mm lens on the turret they can be difficult to focus, there is a special single plate you use especially for some 50mm lens.

Check out KHB site for some great info on Omega enlargers.
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Thanks for all your advise Cletus it was very helpful & much appreciated!
    Now the hunt for the Neg carriers & lenses.

Martin you were dead on!
    One of the Roller wheels had shifted I slid it back in place head now moves easily
    Thanks for the heads up on 50mm lens plate!

Now the search for the proper way to clean & realign this beast.
    Man this thing is big & dirty!

Thanks Jim C. you rock!

& realign this beast.
    Just a heads up on alignment.
    When I did an alignment on mine I found the turret had enough movement in it that it caused the alignment to be way off. Rocking the turret back and forth shifted the alignment. I had a second turret that was a bit better but I ended up shimming the turret to wedge the slide in part in place then aligned after that.
    Not sure if this is normal but mine was that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dake View Post
    Just a heads up on alignment.
    When I did an alignment on mine I found the turret had enough movement in it that it caused the alignment to be way off. Rocking the turret back and forth shifted the alignment. I had a second turret that was a bit better but I ended up shimming the turret to wedge the slide in part in place then aligned after that.
    Not sure if this is normal but mine was that way.
    Thanks! Great info.
    I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.
    99% of what I am going to do is 4X5. I am also go to teach my daughter how to do B&W 35mm.

Quote Originally Posted by PureQuill Photo View Post
    Thanks! Great info.
    I love the idea of the turret but I think I may go with separate lens boards to avoid alignment issues.
    99% of what I am going to do is 4X5. I am also go to teach my daughter how to do B&W 35mm.
    You may want to look into a Auxiliary Focusing Attachment, takes a bit to get used to since there is going to be
    two focusing knobs, but it will alleviate the need for multiple lens cones should you want to use lenses other
    than 135mm for 4x5 enlarging.